1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Cycle efficiency

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the efficiency of the following cycle:

291j1ft.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know there's an isothermic process between a and b, where heat comes into the system, let's call it Qh.
    I also know that between b and c heat will leave the system, let's call it Qc.
    The process from c to a is adiabatic.

The efficiency, n, is equal to:

η = 1- Qc / Qh = 1 - Qc / T2(S2-S1)

The problem is that I don't know how to compute Qc...
    Any help would be highly appreciated.
    Also, if anyone has a good book on the subject I'd appreciate.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The area enclosed by a cycle on a T vs S graph has a physical interpretation that will help to determine the efficiency.

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. Nov 23, 2012 #4
    Thank you very much! Sadly I had no idea it had a physical interpretation..

6. Jan 1, 2013 #5
    Don't use Carnot efficiency equation for the cycle; but use a more fundamental and simpler equation: efficiency = (W/Qh) = (work output from the engine / heat input to the engine). The numerator is obtained from the area of the triangle. You already know how to calculate (the denominator) the heat input to the engine (T2*delta S). The ratio of the two numbers gives the efficiency.

Caution: Cycles involving sloping straight line paths can sometimes be dangerous! For eg the efficiency calculation of similar cyclic triangular paths on PV plane (instead of TS plane) is a very complicated and controversial issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook