Thermodynamics: Equilibrium HELP

In summary: Please help. Thanks in advance...In summary, at equilibrium, an equilibrium mixture would contain the same amount of each gas. This equilibrium can be found by solving for K(eq), which is equal to the product of X^2/X and 1-x, where x is the dissociation constant for each gas.
apchemstudent
Thermodynamics: Equilibrium HELP!

Consider the following equilibrium:

N2O4(g) <--> 2NO2(g)

We can assume the heat of formation and standard change in entropy do not vary with temperature.

At what temperature will an equilibrium mixture contain equal amounts of the two gases?

where G = standard free energy change

-G/(R*ln(K(eq))) = T

delta G = delta H - T*(delta S)

There's two unknowns K(eq) and T. How do i figure out the value of K(eq) to solve this problem? Like, is there some sort of relationship of the K(eq) when both the gases are at the same amount?

K(eq) = X^2/X = X <---- this will become a variable, so how can i determine the K(eq).
Please help. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
A particular temperature of a reaction will be associated with a specific free energy value. A free energy value will have a relationship with the ratio of product over relationship, that is the equilibrium K of the reaction.

The solution to this problem lies in a simple substitution method, you'll need to substitute the free energy value (G). Try and figure it out. I believe this is all you'll need.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Last edited:
Just fixing a typo in GenChem's post :

"A particular temperature of a reaction will be associated with a specific free energy value. A free energy value will have a relationship with the ratio of products over reactants , that is the equilibrium K of the reaction."

GeneralChemTutor said:
A particular temperature of a reaction will be associated with a specific free energy value. A free energy value will have a relationship with the ratio of product over relationship, that is the equilibrium K of the reaction.

The solution to this problem lies in a simple substitution method, you'll need to substitute the free energy value (G). Try and figure it out. I believe this is all you'll need.

Feel free to ask further questions.

I don't see this substitution going anywhere. First of all if we try to remove one variable such as T, we can solve for:

T = (G - H)/S. However We'll end up having 2 unknowns still with G and
K(eq).

If I substitute G = H - T*S into -G/(RlnK(eq)), I'll still have 2 unknowns T and K(eq).

How can i solve this? Please help, thanks...

[tex]N_2O_4(g) \equiv 2NO_2(g) [/tex]
If you start with 1 mole of [itex]N_2O_4(g) [/itex], then at equilibrium, you have some [itex]1-x [/itex] moles, where [itex]x[/itex] is the dissociation constant. As a result, you will have produced [itex]2x[/itex] moles of [itex]NO_2(g)[/itex].

[tex] K(eq) = \frac{[NO_2]^2}{[N_2O_4]} = \frac{4x^2}{1-x} [/tex]

But, you are given that, at equilibrium,

[tex][NO_2] = [N_2O_4] [/itex]
[tex]=> 2x = 1-x => x = 1/3 moles [/tex]

Plugging this into the above expression gives K(eq) = 2/3.

Gokul43201 said:
[tex]N_2O_4(g) \equiv 2NO_2(g) [/tex]
If you start with 1 mole of [itex]N_2O_4(g) [/itex], then at equilibrium, you have some [itex]1-x [/itex] moles, where [itex]x[/itex] is the dissociation constant. As a result, you will have produced [itex]2x[/itex] moles of [itex]NO_2(g)[/itex].

[tex] K(eq) = \frac{[NO_2]^2}{[N_2O_4]} = \frac{4x^2}{1-x} [/tex]

But, you are given that, at equilibrium,

[tex][NO_2] = [N_2O_4] [/itex]
[tex]=> 2x = 1-x => x = 1/3 moles [/tex]

Plugging this into the above expression gives K(eq) = 2/3.

I really think there's something definitely wrong with this problem. I took a look at the answer book at school and they assumed the gases were at a partial pressure of 1 atm each. That's how they figured out the problem. Is there some reason they might use this?

Could you write down the question exactly as it appears in your text/homework ?

Gokul43201 said:
Could you write down the question exactly as it appears in your text/homework ?
Consider the following equilibrium:

N2O4(g) <--> 2NO2(g)

At what temperature will an equilibrium mixture contain equal amounts of the two gases? Assume the heat of formation and standard change in entropy do not vary with temperature.

Of course, that makes sense. Rememeber when you devised the formula K(eq) = X^2/X in your first post? Instead of concetrations it is in terms of pressure, first find the relationship, the corresponding way you should write it in terms of pressure and that should solve your problem.

1 atm should be divided equally since the molar ratios are equivalent (same amount of each gases refers to #, and this relates directly to moles). Each gas should take up .5 atm (deduced according to PV=nRT), remember that equilibrium also relates to Keq. You need to find this relationship.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy in systems.

What is equilibrium in thermodynamics?

Equilibrium in thermodynamics refers to a state in which there is no net change in the properties of a system over time. In other words, the system has reached a stable, balanced state and there is no flow of energy or matter between the system and its surroundings.

How is equilibrium achieved in a thermodynamic system?

Equilibrium is achieved in a thermodynamic system when the system's energy is evenly distributed and there is no net flow of energy. This can occur through various processes such as heat transfer, work, and chemical reactions.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and matter in a thermodynamic system. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed, and the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

What is the difference between a closed and an open thermodynamic system?

A closed thermodynamic system is one in which energy can be transferred, but not matter. In contrast, an open system allows both energy and matter to be exchanged with its surroundings. An example of a closed system is a sealed thermos, while an example of an open system is a pot of boiling water on a stove.