Thermodynamics In An Isolated System

In summary, the discussion revolves around whether the temperature of an environment can exceed that of a star in an isolated system. It is determined that until the two systems reach thermal equilibrium, the environment will not have a temperature higher than the star. Furthermore, there is no indication that this situation would violate the zeroth law of thermodynamics.
BOAS
Hello,

I was thinking about a situation last night and couldn't convince myself of a correct answer, so I thought i'd put it to you guys.

Imagine an isolated system containing a star at some temperature radiating a given amount of energy into the environment. Can the environments temperature ever exceed that of the star?

I don't think such a situation would violate conservation of energy, because the star is converting mass into energy. But does this violate zeroth law?

My thoughts were that as the star radiates energy into the environment, it cannot escape and continues to build up due to the thermal radiation of the star. Given enough time, the system will reach thermal equilibrium, but can the environment exceed the temperature of the star at any point?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
If we assume:
- The star and the environment are two separate systems, where heat is allowed to flow across their boundary.
- The initial temperature of the environment is less than that of the star.
- The star has a heat source, the environment has no heat source.

Then the environment will never have a temperature greater than the star until the two systems reach equilibrium. There also is nothing in this set-up that may suggest it could violate the zeroth law.

As the environment gets hot, the environment will start to glow according to the Stephan-Boltzmann law. When it reaches the same temperature as the star, the radiation from the star to the environment will equal the radiation from the environment to the star. Note that thermodynamics requires that the emissivity coefficient in the SB law equals the absorptivity coefficient.

1. What is an isolated system in thermodynamics?

An isolated system in thermodynamics refers to a system that does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings. This means that the system is completely closed off and no external factors can affect it.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics in an isolated system?

The first law of thermodynamics states that in an isolated system, the total energy remains constant. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another.

3. How does an isolated system maintain its temperature in thermodynamics?

In an isolated system, the temperature is maintained through internal processes such as heat transfer or work. This means that any energy entering or leaving the system does not affect its overall temperature, as long as the system remains isolated.

4. What is the significance of an isolated system in thermodynamics?

An isolated system is important in thermodynamics because it allows for the study of how energy is conserved and transformed within a closed environment. It is a useful concept for understanding the behavior of many physical and chemical processes.

5. Can an isolated system exist in reality?

An isolated system is an idealized concept and does not exist in reality. However, some systems, such as a thermos bottle or the universe as a whole, can be approximated as isolated systems for practical purposes.