Thermodynamics - obtaining quenching entropy

In summary, the problem discussed is determining the total entropy change in a metal quenching process with given information such as the mass of the metal and water, initial temperatures, and specific heat capacities. The suggested equation is s2-s1 = mmCpm ln(T2/Tm1) + mwCpw ln(T2/Tw1) to calculate the total entropy change, taking into account the mass and specific heat capacities of both the metal and water. It is noted that it is not unusual for entropy to decrease in a cooling process, but the total change in the universe will always increase.
mouser
I'm having a problem determining the total entropy change in a metal quenching problem. Here is the information I am given (subscript 'm' is for metal, 'w' is water):

mm = 20 kg
mw = 1000 kg
T1m = 800 C
T1w = 30 C
Cpm = .4 kJ/kg K
Cpw = 4.18 kJ/kg K

With this information, I found T2 to be 304.6 K.

How can I obtain the entropy change with this information? I have no pressure values, and all my entropy equations involve pressure, or specific volume which depends on pressure. Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know of an equation that connects dS to Cp that you might be able to integrate?

I did find a relationship, but it is returning negative values for me, so something is amiss...

s2 - s1 = Cp ln(T2/T1)

I'm trying to find the total entropy change. Would that mean that I sum the entropy change in the quenched metal and the water?

mouser said:
Would that mean that I sum the entropy change in the quenched metal and the water?

Yes.

CS

Yes. It's not unusual for entropy to decrease; it happens whenever a hot object cools down.

mouser said:
I did find a relationship, but it is returning negative values for me, so something is amiss...

s2 - s1 = Cp ln(T2/T1)

You'll need to consider the mass of each as well in your equation.

CS

Mapes said:
Yes. It's not unusual for entropy to decrease; it happens whenever a hot object cools down.

Caveat:

But the total change in the universe will always increase.

CS

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone :). OK so here is what I came up with, and it seems to be giving me the right answer, but just for future reference:

s2-s1 = mmCpm ln(T2/Tm1) + mwCpw ln(T2/Tw1)

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in the context of heat and work.

What is quenching entropy?

Quenching entropy refers to the change in the entropy of a system that occurs when it is rapidly cooled (quenched) from a high temperature to a low temperature. This process is commonly used in metallurgy to improve the strength and hardness of materials.

How is quenching entropy obtained?

Quenching entropy is typically obtained by measuring the change in the entropy of the system before and after the quenching process. This can be done through various experimental techniques, such as calorimetry and thermogravimetry.

What factors affect the quenching entropy?

The quenching entropy of a system is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the system, the cooling rate, and the composition of the material being quenched.

What are the applications of studying quenching entropy?

Studying quenching entropy is important in fields such as metallurgy, materials science, and chemical engineering. It allows for the optimization of quenching processes to improve the properties of materials, such as hardness and strength.