Piston Thermodynamics: Understanding Pressure and Temperature Changes

In summary: By the formula PV/T = PV/T,If there is a piston, and it compresses, so the volume gets smaller, the temperature will go down too..In summary, when the volume of a gas is reduced, the pressure increases.
terryds
By the formula PV/T = PV/T,
If there is a piston, and it compresses, so the volume gets smaller, the temperature will go down too..

But, I think if the volume gets smaller, the space is smaller, so the gas particle will collide more frequently, which makes the temperature goes up.
And, my logic breaks what formula says.
I really have no idea what actually V/T = V/T says.

And, I want to know what pressure really is on gas particle.
Is it the force given by a gas particle to another per the gas particle area? Or, is it the pressure given by gas particles to the piston ??
If the piston compresses, will the pressure also get bigger?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The actual formula is PV = nRT, don't mind nR it's just a constant, so PV/T doesn't change too and you already know that, but for just re-arrange the Eq P/T = nR/V, as the volume gets smaller the P/T ratio does up, this know depend on the kind of the piston and the process (isothermal process thus no temperature change or isobaric which means to pressure change), but I'll assume that you have an everyday piston and an everyday use, then It's temperature goes up and so does the pressure, Pressure is force per unit m*m, if you take an element of the surface of your piston and calculate the force acting (Impulses) you'll end up getting the pressure, as the volume compress collision happens quite frequent thus pressure goes up, the kinetic energy of the gas particles rises too, Good lucl !

Likes 0pt618 and terryds
terryds said:
By the formula PV/T = PV/T,
If there is a piston, and it compresses, so the volume gets smaller, the temperature will go down too..
Focusing first on this: really? Suppose T is held constant via equilibrium with a large body of fluid, while the piston is slowly pressed. What does that imply if V is cut in half?

Noctisdark said:
The actual formula is PV = nRT, don't mind nR it's just a constant, so PV/T doesn't change too and you already know that, but for just re-arrange the Eq P/T = nR/V, as the volume gets smaller the P/T ratio does up, this know depend on the kind of the piston and the process (isothermal process thus no temperature change or isobaric which means to pressure change), but I'll assume that you have an everyday piston and an everyday use, then It's temperature goes up and so does the pressure, Pressure is force per unit m*m, if you take an element of the surface of your piston and calculate the force acting (Impulses) you'll end up getting the pressure, as the volume compress collision happens quite frequent thus pressure goes up, the kinetic energy of the gas particles rises too, Good lucl !

Thanks,
But, I'm a bit confused now.
PV = nRT
The piston is pushed down -> volume of gas gets smaller
So, of course that the pressure will get bigger.
But, the temperature? It'll stay the same, right ?
Because volume gets smaller, but the pressure gets bigger, and I think the moles stay the same too.
PAllen said:
Focusing first on this: really? Suppose T is held constant via equilibrium with a large body of fluid, while the piston is slowly pressed. What does that imply if V is cut in half?

Of course the pressure will be doubled.

Likes 0pt618 and terryds
Just wanted to add this is known as an adiabatic process (no heat transfer).

Likes terryds
0pt618 said:
Just wanted to add this is known as an adiabatic process (no heat transfer).
Adiabatic = no heat transfer
Isotermic = the temperature stays the same

What's the difference ?

terryds said:
Adiabatic = no heat transfer
Isotermic = the temperature stays the same

What's the difference ?
They are very different. To maintain temperature while a piston is pushed, heat must be transferred out of the system. With an adiabetic process, there is no heat transfer, and temperature increases as the piston is pushed (due to work done on the gas by whatever is pushing the piston). The link I gave before shows how to compute the temperature increase (under idealized assumptions) for a given volume reduction for an adiabetic=isentropic process.

Likes terryds
Better not drive a car, motorcycle, or use a gasoline powered mower until you figure this out. It might fool you and refuse to run until you know what you want to have happen inside the engine.

Likes DeldotB

FAQ: Piston Thermodynamics: Understanding Pressure and Temperature Changes

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to energy and work. It is used to describe and predict the behavior of systems that involve the transfer of energy and the conversion of heat to work.

2. What is a piston in thermodynamics?

A piston is a component in a thermodynamic system that is used to contain and compress a gas or fluid. It typically consists of a cylindrical object that moves up and down within a cylinder, creating pressure and performing work on the system.

3. How does a piston work in a thermodynamic system?

A piston works by converting heat energy into mechanical energy. When heat is applied to a gas or fluid inside a cylinder, it expands and pushes against the piston, causing it to move. This movement can then be used to perform work or generate power.

4. What is the relationship between a piston and the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of a piston, the expansion of a gas or fluid against the piston represents the transfer of energy from heat to mechanical work, which follows the principles of the first law.

5. How is a piston used in an internal combustion engine?

A piston is a crucial component in an internal combustion engine. It is responsible for compressing the fuel-air mixture inside the cylinder, igniting it, and converting the resulting pressure into rotational motion, which powers the vehicle. This process repeats in a cycle, producing the power needed to run a car or other machinery.

Back