How Fast Must a Bullet Travel to Melt on Impact?

In summary, a forensic investigator is trying to determine the minimum nozzle velocity of a gun based on a lead bullet that melted completely on impact with a door frame. By using the equation Q=mc(delta)T and finding that Q=287.4J, the investigator must then calculate the velocity by subtracting the kinetic energy (180J) from the total energy (287.4J). The energy needed to melt the bullet must come from the kinetic energy.
riverjib

Homework Statement

A forensic investigator notes a 7.2g lead bullet stopped in a door frame melted completely on impact. Assuming the bullet was shot at RT (20C) what would the investigator calculate as the minimum nozzle velocity of the gun to be? (C_lead = 130J/kg*C), (L_lead = 2.5*10^4J/kg) Lead melts at 327C

Homework Equations

Q = mc(delta)T
K = 1/2*m*v^2 (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the objective of this problem is to use the energy to determine the velocity. I found that Q = 287.4J. I'm not sure what to do from here, however. If I multiply 2.5*10^4J/kg by 0.0072kg, I get 180J. Do I subtract this from 287.4J, and use the result to calculate velocity? Is the difference kinetic energy? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the total energy needed to melt the bullet? Remember, it has to be first heated up to the melting point, and the total energy is equal to energy needed to heat it and then melt it. This energy has to come from the kinetic energy.

I would approach this problem by first calculating the amount of heat energy required to melt the lead bullet. Using the equation Q = mc(delta)T, we can calculate that the bullet absorbed 287.4J of heat energy in order to melt completely.

Next, we can use the conservation of energy principle to equate the heat energy absorbed by the bullet to the kinetic energy it had before impact. This can be represented as:

Q = K = 1/2*m*v^2

Solving for v, we get v = √(2Q/m)

Substituting the values we have, we get v = √(2*287.4J/0.0072kg) = 400 m/s

Therefore, the minimum nozzle velocity of the gun would be 400 m/s in order for the bullet to melt completely on impact.

It's important to note that this is a simplified calculation and does not take into account factors such as air resistance or the specific gun used. However, it gives us a rough estimate of the minimum velocity required.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to energy and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a thermodynamic system. They include the law of conservation of energy, the law of entropy, and the law of absolute temperature.

3. What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy. Enthalpy, on the other hand, is the measure of the total heat content of a system at constant pressure. It is equal to the internal energy plus the product of pressure and volume.

4. What is the significance of thermodynamic processes?

Thermodynamic processes describe the changes that occur in a system as it exchanges heat and work with its surroundings. These processes are important in understanding how energy is converted and transferred in various systems, such as engines and refrigerators.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is used to design and improve energy-efficient systems, understand chemical reactions, and study the behavior of living organisms. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources and advanced materials.