How Fast Must a Bullet Travel to Melt on Impact?

In summary, the forensic investigator calculates that the minimum muzzle velocity of the gun was .5(7.2)(v^2)
yossup

Homework Statement

At a crime scene, the forensic investigator notes that the 7.2- lead bullet that was stopped in a doorframe apparently melted completely on impact. Assuming the bullet was shot at room temperature 30, what does the investigator calculate as the minimum muzzle velocity of the gun?

Homework Equations

Q = mc(change in T)
Q = mL
K = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is really ticking me off because I was so certain that what I was doing was correct. So the melting point of lead is 327C. Heat of fusion (c) is .025J/g. Specific heat is .130J/g.

Basically I plugged these values into the corresponding equations, and

Q(heat of fusion) + Q(specific heat) = .5mv^2

and tried to solve for V but it won't give me the correct answer :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you sure your value for latent heat of fusion is correct?

yup...it's 25 kJ/kg but since I'm using grams since the mass of the bullet is in grams, i converted it to .025 J/g

What about the kilojoules to joules conversion though?

wait...so 25 kJ/kg doesn't equal .025 J/g?? O_O

haha wow...sorry...i am so dumb...sorry. :(

No. It equals 0.025 KJ/kg.

so Q(heat of fusion) = (7.2g) (25J/g) = 180

and Q(specific heat) = (7.2g) (.130J/g) (327-30C) = 277.992

277.992 + 180 = 457.992 = .5mv^2 = .5(7.2)(v^2)

the problem is when i solve for v, it turns out too small and the wrong answer.

The mass on the right hand side should be converted to kilograms.

thanks, i got the right answer. but would you care to explain why i need to use kilgrams for the .5mv^2 equation when i used grams in all my other calculations? thanks.

Well the constants in your other equations were given in terms of grams for convenience because the bullet weight was only a few grams. You gained your answer in Joules which is the SI unit of energy, and thus you must use SI units in the kinetic energy equation. The SI unit of mass being the kilogram. Just try and keep the units in mind as you're working through any problem. As you can see they are very important.

Related to How Fast Must a Bullet Travel to Melt on Impact?

1. What is specific heat and how is it measured?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is measured in units of J/kg·K or J/mol·K. Specific heat can be measured by conducting a calorimetry experiment, where the heat capacity of a substance is determined by measuring the change in temperature of the substance when a known amount of heat is added.

2. What factors affect the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and chemical composition. Substances with higher molecular weights tend to have higher specific heats, and substances with stronger intermolecular forces tend to have higher specific heats. Temperature also affects specific heat as it increases the kinetic energy of the molecules, making it more difficult to increase their temperature.

3. How does specific heat relate to heat capacity?

Specific heat and heat capacity are closely related, but not the same. Specific heat is an intensive property that is specific to a particular substance, while heat capacity is an extensive property that depends on the mass of the substance. In other words, specific heat is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 unit of mass by 1 degree, while heat capacity is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of any given mass by 1 degree.

4. Why is specific heat important in thermodynamics?

Specific heat is important in thermodynamics because it helps to determine the amount of heat needed to raise or lower the temperature of a substance. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and calculating the heat transfer and energy changes in thermodynamic processes. Specific heat is also used to determine the heat capacity of a substance, which is essential in designing and engineering various systems and processes.

5. Can specific heat be changed?

No, the specific heat of a substance is an intrinsic property that does not change. However, it can vary slightly with changes in pressure and temperature. Additionally, mixtures of substances can have different specific heats than their individual components, as the intermolecular forces and chemical composition can affect the overall specific heat of the mixture.