1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - specific heats and electric susceptibility

1. Oct 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the difference of specific heats ##c_E-c_P## of oil with density ##800 kg/m^3## at ##T=27 °C## in electric field with ##E=10^7V/m##. In this conditions the electric susceptibility is 2 and is a function of T given as ##\frac{\chi }{\chi +3}\propto 1+\frac{C}{T}## where ##C=30K##. What is the difference between isothermal and adiabatic susceptibility?
    Take the volume of oil as constant and it's ##c_P=1700J/KgK##

2. Relevant equations
    Two important equations:
    1. ##S=S(T,E)## thereby ##0=dS=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_EdT+(\frac{\partial S}{\partial E})_TdE##
    2.##S=S(T,P)## thereby ##0=dS=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_PdT+(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P})_TdP##

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##dU=dW+dQ## (I am not sure how to calculate ##dW## for given system, yet i found something on the internet saying that ##W=EPV##)
    Using entropy the energy is than ##dU=EVdP+TdS##
    Free energy than ##F=U-TS##
    ##dF=EVdP+TdS-SdT-TdS=EVdP-SdT##
    Since I want to use Maxwell's relations: ##(\frac{\partial (EV)}{\partial T})_P=-(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P})_T##
    The second Maxwell relation comes from ##G=F-VEP##
    ##dG=-SdT-VPdE## and therefore relation ##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial E})_T=(\frac{\partial (VP)}{\partial T})_E##

Now in the first two equations it is obvious that ##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_EdT=\frac{c_Em}{T}## and ##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_PdT=\frac{c_Pm}{T}##. Now using this and Maxwell relations I get:
    1. ##\frac{c_Em}{T}+V(\frac{\partial (P)}{\partial T})_EdE=0## and
    2. ##\frac{c_Pm}{T}-V(\frac{\partial (E)}{\partial T})_PdP=0##

I SERIOUSLY hope that so far everything is legit! :D

Now the next step would be to find the equation of state... Everything written below is probably completely wrong:
    Again I used some google and found out that ##P=\varepsilon _0\chi E##. In this equation i inserted ##\chi## from ##\frac{\chi }{\chi +3}=1+\frac{C}{T}## which gives me ##P=-3\varepsilon _0E(1+T/C)##.

Now ##(\frac{\partial (P)}{\partial T})_E=-\frac{\varepsilon _0E3}{C}## and ##(\frac{\partial (E)}{\partial T})_P=\frac{P}{\varepsilon _03C(1+t/C)^2}##

Which now gives me completely useles equations:

1. ##\frac{c_Em}{T}-V\frac{\varepsilon _0E3}{C}dE=0## and
    2. ##\frac{c_Pm}{T}-V\frac{P}{\varepsilon _03C(1+t/C)^2}dP=0##

I apologize for all the formulas and all the writing but I just want you to see that I am trying yet I am not smart enough...

The first problem is that I don't even know if the equation for W is right and I am pretty sure that the equation of state is completely wrong. I would be really happy if somebody could guide me on how to get the equation of state.

Cheers and thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?