1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Thermodynamics] Transient Analysis of an air-filled tank

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1

Gold Member

Hey I think I'm missing something fundamental in this problem.

The problem reads: a 1 m3 tank initially contains air at 300 kPa, 300K. The air slowly escapes until the pressure drops to 100 kPa, via a process where pv1.2=constant (v being specific volume)

Find the heat transfer for a control volume enclosing the tank, assuming ideal gas behavior with constant specific heats.

I have determined the specific volumes of the initial and final states and I have looked up enthalpy and internal energy values for initial and final states. This is more of a symbolic question I have so I'll leave those out.

The energy balance (all for control volume, so I dont have to write cv over and over)

dU/dt = dQ/dt +(dm/dt)he where he is the enthalpy at the outlet valve.

Integrating with respect to time from state 1 to 2 would give m[tex]\Delta[/tex]u=Q+(mf-mi)he

Now this is where I have several questions. 1) It seems like since the enthalpy is varying and not constant that I should have somehow considered that in the integration. I'm just not sure how I would approach the fact that the enthalpy at the outlet is varying over time.

I considered using the average of the initial and final enthalpies but that didn't yield a correct answer.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?