1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermofluids, Viscous Flow Problem

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q.2 One type of bearing that can be used to support very large structures is shown below. Here fluid under pressure is forced from the bearing midpoint (A) to the exterior zone B. thus a pressure distribution occurs as shown. For this bearing which is 30cm wide, what discharge of oil from slot A per meter of length of bearing is required? Assume a 50kN load per meter of bearing length with a clearance space t between the floor and the bearing surface of 0.6mm. Assume an oil viscosity of 0.2 NS/m2. Hour much oil per hour would have to be pumped per meter of bearing length for the given conditions?

b67ce1f520af9259865680fd46451583.png

Can anyone help me here? I am completely stumped at where to begin, only just begun our lectures on viscous fluid flow.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2
    Have they covered pressure driven flow between parallel plates in your course yet? If so, what is the relationship between the pressure gradient and the average velocity?

Chet

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3
    Not really, our lecturer said that he didn't expect us to be able to solve some of these questions completely. But I'd like to get a head start so if you're able to help explain me how to obtain a solution that'd be much appreciated :).

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4
    See if you can follow this development: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336L/Fluidhtml/node108.html

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted