1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin and Norton Theories help

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    the problem presents a wheatstone bridge design, with a 10 V DC power supply. R1 is 2 ohms, R2 is 3, Rx (presented as R4 for this problem) is 4, the typical 'bridge' portion is replaced with a 1 ohm resistor (labeled R3), and where you usually have R3 you have a load, which is 5 ohms.
    The problem asks to present a thevenin model for this same probelm, Vth and Rth.
    My instructor has his answers posted, but not how he got them.

My answers came out with Rth = R1||R2+R3||R4 = 2||3+4||1 = 2
    my Voltage obtained came out to Vth = R!/(R1 + R2||(R3+R4)) * Vs = 2/(2+3||(1+4))*10=5.16V
    however for Rth my instructor has 1.42 ohms and for Vth he has 6.128

Can anyone help me see what I did wrong, how to get the values my teacher got (as I haven't been able to figure it out.) and possibly give any tips/tricks for thevenin and norton, as these guys are giving me a lot more trouble than I care for.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I'd need to see the schematic.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    You should post the pic of your question kinda becomes hard to visualize (rather lazy):)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook