1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin voltage and resistance

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the Thevenin voltage Vt and the Thevenin resistance Rt.

2. Relevant equations
    V=(Vt*R)/(Rt+R)

I=Vt/(Rt+R)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinkin that my R is 1 ohm but I can't figure out how to simply the rest of the resistors to get Rt. If I can get Rt, then I can solve for Vt. Is my thinking correct or am I completely off? I've attached a picture of the diagram. Any input would be great, thanx.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

The resistor across the battery is not part of the problem. Someone's little joke.

To get the Thevenin voltage, work out the open circuit voltage across the terminals a and b.

To get the Thevenin resistance, calculate the current that would flow if you short circuited the output. Then divide the Thevenin voltage by this current to get the Thevenin resistance.

Alternatively, you can "look" into the terminals and replace the battery with a short circuit. The resistance you "see" when you do this is the Thevenin resistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook