Thevenin without removing load resistor

In summary, the unknown circuit provides the specified current through the load resistors, but the V_oc is not given. Thevenin model can be solved using Ohm's Law, but this method is not feasible for this question since there is no schematic given.
britishben
I'm having trouble with Thevenin models, specifically this question where the V_oc is not given.

The problem:
Assume an unknown circuit provides the specified current through the load resistors as given below:
100k - 2.3mA
1.2M - 510uA
Find a Thevenin model for the unknown circuit.

All I've been able to find on Thevenin requires me to find V_oc, which I don't know how to do from here. I've tried just using Ohm's Law, but that nets me 230V for the first case, and 612V for the second. Suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one will be able to help you until you post a schematic of your circuit.

The Electrician said:
No one will be able to help you until you post a schematic of your circuit.

There is no schematic of the circuit given. The load resistor is connected across two terminals of a "black box", I assume.

Actually, this question does not require a schematic. Since this sounds like homework, I won't tell you the answer. However, you can very easily figure out what the question is actually asking for by drawing a generic Thevenin circuit. Actually, it might be easier to use a Norton equivalent in this case.

In either case, you'll have two equations and two unknowns.

EDIT: This illustrates one of the principles of the "black box": that you can figure out an equivalent model of the box without actually cracking it open, just by how it drives a load.

Last edited:
I've never actually thought of Thevenin or Norton models' usefulness, until I saw this thread. I've always thought they were to make analysis easier.

Hint: remember that the load resistor is not the only resistor in each of the 2 circuits. You have 2 unknowns, and 2 separate cases with part of the circuit resistance given along with the entire source currents. Think KVL.

Thanks for the help, guys. I just set the Norton model up as a current divider, and solved from there.

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a principle in circuit analysis that states any linear electrical network with voltage and current sources can be replaced by an equivalent circuit comprising of a single voltage source and a single series resistor. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. How does Thevenin's theorem work?

Thevenin's theorem works by simplifying a complex circuit into a simpler equivalent circuit, making it easier to analyze and calculate the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. It involves removing a load resistor and replacing it with a voltage source and a series resistor, with values determined by the original circuit.

3. Can Thevenin's theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem only applies to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits have components that do not follow Ohm's Law, and therefore cannot be simplified using this theorem.

4. What is the purpose of removing the load resistor in Thevenin's theorem?

The load resistor is removed in Thevenin's theorem to determine the open-circuit voltage (Voc) and the internal resistance (Rth) of the circuit. These values are used to create the Thevenin equivalent circuit, which is then used to calculate the voltage and current at any point in the original circuit.

5. What are the advantages of using Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem offers a simple and efficient method for analyzing complex circuits. It reduces the number of calculations and simplifies the circuit, making it easier to understand. It is also useful for determining the maximum power transfer in a circuit and for designing circuits with specific voltage and current requirements.