Thin film interference formulae

In summary, the individual is trying to understand thin film interference in air and is calculating the thickness of the film using the formula for destructive interference. However, they are getting a slightly different solution compared to their book's solution and are wondering where they went wrong. The expert summarizer notes that both solutions are essentially equivalent, as m = -1 can be used to obtain the book's solution from the individual's solution.
khaos89
Hello, I am trying to understand thin film (in air) interference but I have a problem:

I know we have destructive interference when [itex]\delta=(2m+1)\pi[/itex].

Now i can try to calculate the thickness of the film to get it, so

since [itex]\delta =\frac{4nt\pi}{\lambda} - \pi[/itex] where t is the thickness,

I come to [itex]\delta=(2m+1)\pi=\frac{4nt\pi}{\lambda} - \pi [/itex]

that leads me to [itex] t=\frac{\lambda(m+1)}{2n} [/itex] instead of
[itex] t=\frac{m\lambda}{2n} [/itex]

(n is the refractive index and m is the integer parameter)

Where am I wrong?

Science news on Phys.org
Why do you think you're wrong?

Thank you for your answer, I think I am wrong because my book's solution is [itex] t=\frac{m\lambda}{2n}[/itex]

khaos89 said:
Thank you for your answer, I think I am wrong because my book's solution is [itex] t=\frac{m\lambda}{2n}[/itex]
The answers are essentially equivalent. (You can always start with m = -1 in your version.)

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track, but there is a small error in your calculation. The correct formula for the thickness of the film in this case should be t=\frac{m\lambda}{2n}. This can be derived by setting \delta=(2m+1)\pi and solving for t. It is important to note that when using the destructive interference formula, the integer parameter m should always be an even number to ensure that the film thickness is a positive value. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of thin film interference formulae. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the formula for thin film interference?

The formula for thin film interference is mλ = 2tμ, where m is the order of the interference, λ is the wavelength of the incident light, t is the thickness of the film, and μ is the refractive index of the film.

2. How does thin film interference occur?

Thin film interference occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, causing constructive or destructive interference depending on the thickness of the film and the wavelength of the incident light.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in thin films?

Constructive interference in thin films occurs when the path difference between the reflected waves is an integer multiple of the wavelength, resulting in a bright spot. Destructive interference occurs when the path difference is a half-integer multiple of the wavelength, resulting in a dark spot.

4. How do you calculate the colors seen in thin film interference?

The colors seen in thin film interference are determined by the wavelength of light that is constructively interfered with. This can be calculated using the formula λ = 2tμ/m, where m is the order of the interference and t and μ are known.

5. Can thin film interference be used in practical applications?

Yes, thin film interference is used in various practical applications such as anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses and camera lenses, color filters in LCD screens, and in the production of thin-film solar cells.