1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODE

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    I have derived a 3rd order non-linear ODE with its respective boundary conditions, and I was hoping to get a hint on how to find a closed form solution to it. The equation is given as:

F''' + (1/C^2)*F*F' = 0

Where the primes denote a derivative, and C is just a constant. Any help is highly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think this might help. Write the equation as F''' = -(1/C2)FF'
    Now integrate both sides. That will get you a 2nd order DE.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    So I tried what you mentioned, and here's what I get (though I think I made a mistake somewhere):

F''' = -(1/C^2)*F*F'
    > F'' = -(1/2/C^2)*F^2 + C1 (where C1 is a new constant)

Now, this gives:

F'' + (1/2/C^2)*F^2 + C1 = 0

Assume G = F'
    F'' = G*dG/dF

> G*dG/dF + (1/2/C^2)*F^2 + C1 = 0
    > G*dG = [-(1/2/C^2)*F^2 - C1]*dF

Integrating both sides gives,

G = sqrt(-(1/3/C^2)*F^3 - 2*C1*F + 2*C2) = F' = dF/dy

Separating variables gives,

dF/sqrt(-(1/3/C^2)*F^3 - 2*C1*F + 2*C2) = dy

But now I have no idea how to take that integral and I'm pretty sure I made some mistakes with the constants. Any suggestions as to where I went wrong and what I can alter?

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    You said closed-form right? First just write it as:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt{ay^3+by+c}[/tex]

Now, suppose I told you there is a special function called the Weierstrass P function such that if:

[tex]\text{myxside}=\int_{\infty}^{y}\frac{dt}{\sqrt{4t^3-ct-d}}[/tex]

then:

[tex]y=P(\text{myxside,c,d})[/tex]

and you just had to make some kind of showing on this thing, could you express your solution in terms of the Weierstrass P function?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  6. Dec 6, 2011 #5
    Honestly, I'm not familiar with the Weierstrass P function. I have to solve this ODE and apply three boundary conditions to it. I'm not sure how the Weierstrass P function operates to be able to do that.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #6
    Looking at it again, I think I found a way to solve the ODE, if the 1/C^2 constant wasn't there. Is there any way to define a new variable F that absorbs that constant value. If I can find a way to do that, then that ODE is easily solvable.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7
    Nevermind. Solved! Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook