Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODE

In summary, the equation is given as: F''' = -(1/C^2)*F*F' and the solution is found by integrating both sides. The Weierstrass P function can be used to express the solution in terms of y=P(\text{myxside,c,d}).
Compressible
I have derived a 3rd order non-linear ODE with its respective boundary conditions, and I was hoping to get a hint on how to find a closed form solution to it. The equation is given as:

F''' + (1/C^2)*F*F' = 0

Where the primes denote a derivative, and C is just a constant. Any help is highly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Compressible said:
I have derived a 3rd order non-linear ODE with its respective boundary conditions, and I was hoping to get a hint on how to find a closed form solution to it. The equation is given as:

F''' + (1/C^2)*F*F' = 0

Where the primes denote a derivative, and C is just a constant. Any help is highly appreciated!
I think this might help. Write the equation as F''' = -(1/C2)FF'
Now integrate both sides. That will get you a 2nd order DE.

So I tried what you mentioned, and here's what I get (though I think I made a mistake somewhere):

F''' = -(1/C^2)*F*F'
> F'' = -(1/2/C^2)*F^2 + C1 (where C1 is a new constant)

Now, this gives:

F'' + (1/2/C^2)*F^2 + C1 = 0

Assume G = F'
F'' = G*dG/dF

> G*dG/dF + (1/2/C^2)*F^2 + C1 = 0
> G*dG = [-(1/2/C^2)*F^2 - C1]*dF

Integrating both sides gives,

G = sqrt(-(1/3/C^2)*F^3 - 2*C1*F + 2*C2) = F' = dF/dy

Separating variables gives,

dF/sqrt(-(1/3/C^2)*F^3 - 2*C1*F + 2*C2) = dy

But now I have no idea how to take that integral and I'm pretty sure I made some mistakes with the constants. Any suggestions as to where I went wrong and what I can alter?

You said closed-form right? First just write it as:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt{ay^3+by+c}[/tex]

Now, suppose I told you there is a special function called the Weierstrass P function such that if:

[tex]\text{myxside}=\int_{\infty}^{y}\frac{dt}{\sqrt{4t^3-ct-d}}[/tex]

then:

[tex]y=P(\text{myxside,c,d})[/tex]

and you just had to make some kind of showing on this thing, could you express your solution in terms of the Weierstrass P function?

Last edited by a moderator:
jackmell said:
You said closed-form right? First just write it as:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt{ay^3+by+c}[/tex]

Now, suppose I told you there is a special function called the Weierstrass P function such that if:

[tex]\text{myxside}=\int_{\infty}^{y}\frac{dt}{\sqrt{4t^3-ct-d}}[/tex]

then:

[tex]y=P(\text{myxside,c,d})[/tex]

and you just had to make some kind of showing on this thing, could you express your solution in terms of the Weierstrass P function?

Honestly, I'm not familiar with the Weierstrass P function. I have to solve this ODE and apply three boundary conditions to it. I'm not sure how the Weierstrass P function operates to be able to do that.

Looking at it again, I think I found a way to solve the ODE, if the 1/C^2 constant wasn't there. Is there any way to define a new variable F that absorbs that constant value. If I can find a way to do that, then that ODE is easily solvable.

Nevermind. Solved! Thanks for the help!

1. What is a Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODE?

A Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODE is a type of differential equation in which the highest derivative is of third order, and the equation is non-linear and homogeneous, meaning all terms are of the same degree and do not contain any constants.

2. How is a Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODE solved?

There is no general method for solving Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODEs, as each equation is unique and requires its own approach. However, some common techniques include substitution, transformation, and series solutions.

3. What are the applications of Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODEs?

Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODEs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to describe natural phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. They can also be used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. How do Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODEs differ from other types of ODEs?

Unlike first and second order ODEs, Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODEs are more complex and do not have a general solution. They also require different techniques and methods for solving them compared to linear or non-homogeneous ODEs.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODEs?

Yes, there are many examples of Third Order Non-Linear Homogeneous ODEs in the natural world. A common example is the Van der Pol oscillator, which is used to describe the behavior of electrical circuits and chemical reactions. Other examples include the Lotka-Volterra equations used in population dynamics and the Rayleigh–Plesset equation used to model the behavior of bubbles in a liquid.