How High is the Cliff if a Rock Takes 3.4 Seconds to Hit the Ground?

• Thread starter Libohove90
  • Start date
In summary, to find the height of the cliff, we can use the equation y(t)=vo*t+1/2a*t^2 and solve for t by using the relation t=tf+ts. Then, we can use the speed of sound (340 m/s) and the time it takes for the sound to travel back (ts) to find the height of the cliff.
Libohove90

Homework Statement

A rock falls of the cliff, 3.4 seconds later, you can hear the rock hitting the ground. Assuming the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

Delta X = Vot + 0.5at^2
2a Delta X = V^2 - Vo^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start. The height of the cliff is unknown and the time it took the rock to hit the ground is unknown. Initial velocity is zero and that's all I can say. I don't know where to start. Perhaps I am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to do is quantify your total time 't' as the sum of the time it takes for the rock to fall 'tf' plus the time it takes for the sound to travel back 'ts' or t=tf+ts. Then you need to use your position equation h(t) where h(tf)=...

kjohnson said:
The first thing you need to do is quantify your total time 't' as the sum of the time it takes for the rock to fall 'tf' plus the time it takes for the sound to travel back 'ts' or t=tf+ts. Then you need to use your position equation h(t) where h(tf)=...

Ok so tf + ts = 3.4 s

Position equation of the tf would be [tex]\Delta[/tex]y = Vo tf + 1/2 atf^2

Position equation of ts would be [tex]\Delta[/tex]y = v ts (where v = 340 m/s)

Correct?

Yes, that is pretty much correct. The only thing is your delta y is really height as a function of time or y(t)=vo*t+1/2a*t^2 so when you sub in your total fall time 'tf' you are implying that your height is zero. To get the 'tf' term to sub into that function use the relation t=tf +ts or tf=t-ts. Now you just need your relation of the height of the cliff and the velocity of sound to sub in for 'ts'.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach. In this case, we can use the given information and equations of motion to solve for the height of the cliff.

First, let's define our variables:
- t = time (in seconds)
- g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
- v = final velocity (in this case, the speed of sound, 340 m/s)
- h = height of the cliff (in meters)

Using the first equation, we can rearrange it to solve for h:
h = 0.5gt^2

Next, we can use the second equation to solve for t:
2aΔx = v^2 - v0^2
2(9.8)(h) = (340)^2 - 0^2
19.6h = 115600
h = 5897.96 meters

Therefore, the height of the cliff is approximately 5897.96 meters. It is important to note that this is assuming the rock was dropped from rest and there were no air resistance. If these factors were present, the calculation would be different. Additionally, it is always important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.

1. What is the problem and why is it giving me trouble?

The problem at hand is a simple one, but it can still cause frustration. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept or a small error in the methodology. Taking a step back and reviewing the problem carefully can help identify the root cause of the issue.

2. How do I approach solving this problem?

The best approach to solving any problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by understanding the problem statement and identifying the given information. Then, determine what is being asked and what tools or formulas can be used to solve it. Finally, work through each step carefully and double-check your work for accuracy.

3. What should I do if I'm still stuck on the problem?

If you're still having trouble with the problem, don't be afraid to seek help. This could be from a teacher or professor, a classmate, a tutor, or even online resources. Sometimes, a fresh perspective or a different explanation can make all the difference in understanding and solving the problem.

4. How can I prevent getting stuck on similar problems in the future?

It's important to reflect on what went wrong with this problem and how you can prevent it from happening again in the future. This could mean reviewing the concept again, practicing similar problems, or seeking extra help before moving on to more advanced material.

5. Is it normal to struggle with a seemingly simple problem?

Absolutely! Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, and what may seem simple to one person may not be as easy for another. The important thing is to not get discouraged and instead use it as an opportunity to learn and improve your problem-solving skills.