Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thread Forming Screw? HELPPP

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    I am in search of 1000 5mm x 30mm Allen Head Thread Forming/cutting zinc plated steel Screw but can not seem to find this particular screw anywhere!

Does anyone know where I can find this screw? or possibly have it manufactured?

Thank you,
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Self-tapping screws are normally used with panels where you want a button head.
    Socket head are normaly used when you need high strength.

Any reason it has to be socket head rather than posidrive?
    You can get torx or security bit self tappers easily.
  4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    Im not sure for the reasoning behind it, but ive tried throwing out other ideas, but they are set on the socket head. They told me it would be difficult to find, didn't think it would be THIS difficult!
  5. Nov 14, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Whoa. Good luck on this one. I can find them with different head types but not SHCS.
  6. Nov 14, 2008 #5

Gold Member

I expect that you could have some made any any good machine shop, but it'll cost a lot.
    Come to think of it, you could always buy another type of the right size and transplant Allen heads on with a welder. Again, very costly and time-consuming.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?