What is the angle vector A makes with the y-axis?

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle that vector A makes with the y-axis, with given options of 52, 54, 56, 58, or 60 degrees. The solution involves using the geometric definition of the dot product and finding the unit vector j for the y-axis. The final answer is found to be approximately 57.7 degrees.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

vector A=(3i+2j+k)m. The angle vector makes with the y-axis is nearest
a 52 degrees
b 54 degrees
c 56 degrees
d 58 degrees
e 60 degrees

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did arctan of (2/3) to get 34 then subtracted it from 90 and got C but I'm not sure about this one the third component is kind of screwing with me a little can anyone clear up how to do this with a third dimension.

Physics news on Phys.org
for this you need to use the geometric definition of the dot product:

[tex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}=\parallel\vec{a}\parallel\parallel\vec{b}\parallel \cos \theta[/tex]

where ||a|| is the distance of a to the origin (0,0,0).
[tex]\vec{a}[/tex]=[x,y,z]
[tex]\parallel\vec{a}\parallel=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]

and theta is the angle between the 2 vectors.

solving for theta gives you:

[tex]\theta=arccos\{\frac{\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}}{\parallel\vec{a}\parallel\parallel\vec{b}\parallel}\}[/tex]

you know A in vector form and you just have to find the vector form of the y-axis and do the dot product. find the distace's and the arccos

is the vector component form of the y-axis 0,1,0

Last edited:
I got arccos ( 2/ sqrt(14)) = 57.7 degrees this is with assuming the vector form of the y-axis is 0,1,0

yes for the y-axis you would use the unit vector j which has coordinates of (0,1,0).

thanks alot

1. What is a three dimensional vector?

A three dimensional vector is a mathematical object that contains both magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. It is commonly represented by an arrow with a starting point, direction, and length.

2. How is a three dimensional vector represented?

A three dimensional vector can be represented in two ways: algebraically using coordinates (x,y,z) or geometrically using an arrow in three-dimensional space. In both cases, the vector contains magnitude and direction.

3. What are the operations that can be performed on three dimensional vectors?

The most common operations on three dimensional vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, and cross product. These operations help to manipulate and analyze the properties of vectors in three-dimensional space.

4. How is a three dimensional vector used in science?

Three dimensional vectors are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent physical quantities, such as force and velocity, and to model complex systems and structures.

5. How can I visualize a three dimensional vector?

To visualize a three dimensional vector, you can use a graphing calculator or software, such as MATLAB or WolframAlpha, to plot the vector in three-dimensional space. You can also use a physical model, such as a 3D printed object or a vector diagram, to help visualize the direction and magnitude of the vector.