Three-phase transformer DC-resistances

In summary, the conversation discusses a three-phase transformer with a 20/0.5 kV rating and dyn11 configuration that is not connected to the grid. The DC-resistance between two primary windings is measured to be 80 ohm and the question is asked about the DC-resistance of one primary coil. The total resistance seen from terminals A and B is discussed, taking into account both series and parallel connections. A formula for the total resistance is deduced, which is not equal to 80/3 as all winding resistances are not connected in series. The correct formula is (80*80 / 80+80) + 80.
arnold28

Homework Statement

Three-phase transformer, 20/0.5 kV, dyn11. Not connected to the grid.
DC-resistance between two primary windings is measured to be 80 ohm. What is the DC-resistance of ONE primary coil

Homework Equations

Kolmiotahti.png

f8c03f8d03923571597630136a1cb67b.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could just calculate Ra there, because I assume all the coils are identical?
Is the 20/0.5 kV info even needed here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the problem should be?
DC-resistance between two primary terminals is measured to be 80 ohm

Forget about d-y transformation.

Concentrate on the left figure, and deduce a formula for the total resistance seen from terminals A and B. And this formula equals (?). All winding resistences are equal.

isnt the total resistance of the triangle that 80 ohms? so resistance of one winding should then be 80/3? well apparently not because i don't get the right answer with that

As you said yourself, its not 80/3.

If all resistances had been connected in series, it would have been. But its not.

What is the formula for the total resistance seen from terminals A and B? Hint: One series connection and one parallell connection.

Draw a new figure if you don't see it.

aaah stupid me, that's right, the triangle confused me :D
I calculated (80*80 / 80+80) + 80 and got the right answer!

thanks very very much

1. What is a three-phase transformer DC-resistance?

A three-phase transformer DC-resistance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of direct current through the transformer windings. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of the transformer.

2. How is the DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer measured?

The DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer is typically measured by passing a low voltage direct current through each winding and measuring the resulting voltage drop. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law.

3. Why is it important to know the DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer?

Knowing the DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer is important for calculating the power losses and efficiency of the transformer. It is also useful for detecting any potential faults or damage in the transformer windings.

4. How does temperature affect the DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer?

The DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer increases as the temperature increases. This is because the resistance of the conductor material increases with temperature, causing a higher voltage drop and lower efficiency in the transformer.

5. Can the DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer be reduced?

The DC-resistance of a three-phase transformer can be reduced by using larger diameter conductors, increasing the number of turns in the windings, or using materials with lower resistivity. However, these changes may also affect other aspects of the transformer's performance and must be carefully considered.