Three vectors lie in an xy plane

In summary, the problem involves three vectors A, B, and C each with a magnitude of 46 m and lying in the xy plane. The directions of A, B, and C relative to the positive direction of the x-axis are 28˚, 191˚, and 313˚ respectively. The task is to find the magnitude and angle of the vector A-B+C, which falls within the range of (-180°, 180°). The magnitude of A-B+C is calculated to be 117.11 m and the angle is -1.60°. However, there was an error in the grading system that forced significant digits, resulting in the answer being 120 m.
0btuse

Homework Statement

Three vectors A, B, C, each have a magnitude of 46 m and lie in an xy plane. Their directions relative to the positive direction of the x-axis are 28 ˚, 191 ˚, and 313 ˚.

What are the magnitude and the angle of A-B+C with right-arrow in the range of (-180°, 180°)?

Homework Equations

o0ry4j.gif

2czev7b.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Nx = 46cos(28)-46cos(191)+46cos(313)= 117.15
Ny = 46sin(28)-46sin(191)+46sin(313) = -3.26

N= sqrt((117.15^2)+(-3.26)^2)
N = 117.11

For the angle i have tan^-1 (-3.26/117.15) = -1.60°

the online homework is accepting my answer for the angle as being correct, however I'm not as fortunate with the magnitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct. I get a slightly different answer when I calculate the magnitude. It differs in the fourth digit. I don't know how accurate your answer needs to be.

Likes 0btuse
i suppose i'll have to take the hit on the assignment because no matter how I round it's not accepting my answer. I've tried adding additional sigfigs to no avail. thank you for your response. it's been driving me crazy.

I think your answer is correct. Maybe an error in the grading system.

Edit: It looks like when you calculated the magnitude you might have calculated it as ##\sqrt{117.15^2 - (3.26)^2}## rather than ##\sqrt{117.15^2 + (-3.26)^2}##

i emailed the professor and it appears there was an error in that it was forcing significant digits.
the answer was 120.
thank you again. just thought i'd update for anyone else that may drive themselves nuts over this in the future.

OK. That makes sense. Only two significant figures are given for the magnitudes of the vectors. It's sometimes hard to know how grading systems are handling significant figures.

What does it mean when three vectors lie in an xy plane?

When three vectors lie in an xy plane, it means that all three vectors are coplanar, meaning they lie in the same two-dimensional plane. In this case, the vectors are specifically confined to the x and y axes.

How can I determine if three vectors lie in an xy plane?

To determine if three vectors lie in an xy plane, you can graph them on a coordinate plane and see if they all lie in the same plane. Alternatively, you can calculate the cross product of two of the vectors and see if it is equal to the third vector. If so, they are coplanar and lie in the same plane.

What is the importance of having three vectors lie in an xy plane?

Having three vectors lie in an xy plane can be useful in many applications, such as in physics and engineering. It allows for easier visualization and calculation of vector quantities, as well as simplifying certain mathematical operations.

Can three vectors lying in an xy plane be linearly dependent?

Yes, it is possible for three vectors lying in an xy plane to be linearly dependent. This means that one of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the other two vectors. In other words, one vector can be expressed as a scalar multiple of another vector.

Are there any real-life examples of three vectors lying in an xy plane?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of three vectors lying in an xy plane. One common example is the motion of a projectile, where the x and y components of the velocity vector are coplanar. Another example is the forces acting on an object on an inclined plane, where the forces can be broken down into x and y components.