How Long to Reach The Highest Point?

• Thread starter dkgojackets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, a girl throws a stick of length .27 m and mass .18 kg into the air so that the center of mass rises vertically. At the moment it leaves her hand, the stick is horizontal and the speed of the end of the stick nearest to her is zero. When the center of mass reaches its highest point, the stick has made 31 complete revolutions. Using conservation of energy and basic kinematics, the translational kinetic energy at the start of the stick is equal to the potential energy at its highest point. The time it takes for the stick to complete one rotation is 2pi/w, where w is the angular speed. The total time for 31 rotations is 62pi/w. The initial speed of the
dkgojackets

Homework Statement

A girl throws a stick of length .27 m and mass .18 kg into the air so that the center of mass rises vertically. At the moment it leaves her hand, the stick is horizontal and the speed of the end of the stick nearest to her is zero. When the center of mass reaches its highest point, the stick has made 31 complete revolutions. How long did it take the center of mass to reach its highest point?

Homework Equations

I let moment of inertia = (1/3)ML^2 (rod with rotational axis through end). I assume the problem uses conservation of energy combined with basic kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

At start, the rod has KE .5mv^2, v being the upwards velocity of the center of mass, and rotational KE .5Iw^2. At its highest point, it has potential energy mgh and rotational KE .5Iw^2. I assume the rotational kinetic energy does not change as it goes up? So the translational kinetic energy must equal mgh. I just don't know how to use the other information to get the height or velocity of the center of mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve this purely as a kinematics problem. Hint: How does the initial speed of the the center of mass relate to the angular speed?

v=rw, so velocity at center of mass would equal .135w? I also figured that the time of one rotation would be 2pi(.27)/w, so for all 31 rotations it would equal 62pi(.27)/w. Am I on the right track?

dkgojackets said:
v=rw, so velocity at center of mass would equal .135w?
Good.
I also figured that the time of one rotation would be 2pi(.27)/w,
How did you figure this? (It's not quite right.)

Correct your mistake and you are on the right track. Hint: Relate v and total time.

Why is v=ωr? Is it because the end of the stick is initially ascending with the same velocity as the center of mass?

Gyroscope said:
Why is v=ωr? Is it because the end of the stick is initially ascending with the same velocity as the center of mass?
No, it's because you are told that "the stick is horizontal and the speed of the end of the stick nearest to her is zero". The initial speed of the center is v (by definition), so the only way that the end near her can have speed zero is if it rotates such that v=ωr.

OK here's what I did.

v = wr

t (of one rotation) = (2pi)/w

t (total) = (62pi)/w

I also used Vf = Vi + at ... so 0 = v - 9.8t, t = v/9.8

Set those ts equal (62pi)/w = v/9.8

substitute w = v/r and cross multiply

(9.8)(62pi) = (v^2)/r

Now would r be the length of the stick or half of it? I said the entire length since one end serves as the axis of rotation.

(9.8)(62pi)(.27) = v^2
v = 22.7

0 = 22.7 - 9.8t
t = 2.3165

Where'd I go wrong?

dkgojackets said:
OK here's what I did.

v = wr

t (of one rotation) = (2pi)/w

t (total) = (62pi)/w

I also used Vf = Vi + at ... so 0 = v - 9.8t, t = v/9.8

Set those ts equal (62pi)/w = v/9.8

substitute w = v/r and cross multiply

(9.8)(62pi) = (v^2)/r
That's OK, but you made a tactical error: By setting the ts equal, you eliminate them from the equations. But t is what you are trying to find. :wink: (So you are forced to waste time calculating v, when you don't need too. No big deal.)
Now would r be the length of the stick or half of it? I said the entire length since one end serves as the axis of rotation.
No, the stick spins about its center. (The stick's motion is the sum of the motion of its center of mass plus its rotation about its center of mass.) That's your real error.

Also, the v in v=ωr is the initial speed of the center of mass. (See my response to Gyroscope.)

1. How high can a stick be thrown?

The height a stick can be thrown depends on a variety of factors such as the force of the throw, the angle of the throw, and the air resistance. On average, a human can throw a stick up to about 30 feet in the air.

2. Will the stick always land in the same spot when thrown?

No, the stick will not always land in the same spot when thrown. This is because of external factors such as wind and air resistance that can affect the trajectory of the stick.

3. Can a stick be thrown in a vacuum?

Yes, a stick can be thrown in a vacuum. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so the stick will continue to travel in a straight line until it is affected by another force, such as gravity.

4. What is the maximum speed a stick can reach when thrown?

The maximum speed a stick can reach when thrown depends on the initial force of the throw and the air resistance. On average, a stick can reach speeds of up to 20 miles per hour when thrown by a human.

5. Can a thrown stick be used as a measurement tool?

Yes, a thrown stick can be used as a measurement tool. By measuring the distance the stick travels, we can calculate the force and speed of the throw, which can be used in various scientific experiments and calculations.