Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI hard to press keys, cures?

  1. Dec 31, 2007 #1
    Well the top keys on my TI are really hard to press, I obviously spilled something but do not remember. Is there a way to make them easy to press again? It's getting really annoying :-[
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2007 #2


    User Avatar

    Spray in some sort of solvent, be careful not to use one that will take the plastic with it.

    Or disassemble it and wash it out carefully.
  4. Dec 31, 2007 #3
    What type of solvent b/c I can't disassemble it :-[
  5. Dec 31, 2007 #4
    make sure it has no batteries in it at the time...
  6. Jan 1, 2008 #5


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    You're not using a big enough hammer.
    Are you sure that there aren't assembly screws hidden under little rubber feet or labels?

    Anyhow, I've cleaned all sorts of things with just rubbing alcohol. It's a good solvent, evaporates quickly without residue, and doesn't conduct electricity.
  7. Jan 28, 2008 #6
    take it apart and wash and dry each key individually, then clean the frame.

    if you mess up the orientation of where which button goes, it's not a problem... the manual should have a closeup... then reassemble.

    to open, you gotta unscrew... and then carefully (will probably mar the plastic), pry it... cause it's popped closed aswell.

    I do this like every year... my ti89 gets gunky over time lol
  8. Jan 28, 2008 #7


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Danger's suggestion of using rubbing alcohol is probably the best you can do without taking it apart. Be aware that rubbing alcohol is mostly water, and is conductive. Take all the batteries out (including the back up battery) before doing anything, and allow it to dry for several hours before putting the batteries back in. A little squirt of rubbing alcohol, some dabbing with tissue, and a good hard shake may well solve the problem. Try to use as little alcohol as possible.

    - Warren
  9. Jan 28, 2008 #8


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Thanks for the clarification, Chroot. I was careless with my wording about the non-conductivity of alcohol. What I meant was that it won't leave conductive traces behind. My bad.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook