Are Tidal Forces the Opposite of Centripetal Forces in Rotational Dynamics?

In summary, tidal forces are the relative accelerations of different particles caused by the gravitational pull of a central mass. In the case of a uniform spherical cloud of non-interacting particles, the tidal forces cause the cloud to become distorted into an ellipsoid of revolution. This same effect can also be seen in a solid object, where internal stresses develop to balance the tidal forces. These tidal forces can be thought of as "anti-spin" and "anti-rotation" forces, as they are opposite in direction to the forces that would cause rotation. It is possible for an object to have an appropriate angular velocity that cancels out the effects of the tidal forces, which can result in a "frozen" axis of rotation and no tensile distortion
oldman
John Peacock in Cosmological Physics p.42 said:
The observational manifestation of gravity is tidal forces: the relative acceleration of different particles that cannot be removed by change of frame.

I want to ask here if tidal forces can in a sense be considered as the opposite of the centripetal forces that drive rotations or spins. I'd appreciate any web-accessible references about this.

First consider a uniform spherical cloud of non-interacting test masses falling radially toward a central mass. As it falls the sphere will become distorted by tidal accelerations that change
inter-particle separations, into an ellipsoid of revolution whose axis is radial, as described and
illustrated by Roger Penrose in The Road to Reality,Section 17.5, p.396,397.

If instead of a cloud of test particles the sphere were a isotropic solid, it would be strained by tidal forces (to a degree depending on its proximity to the central mass) into an ellipsoid of revolution, until internal stresses developed that were sufficient to balance tidal forces (or the solid became plastically deformed, or fractured).

The internal stresses that develop are compressions perpendicular to the ellipsoid axis and tensions along this axis. It looks to me that the radial compressive tidal forces are very like (but opposite in direction) the centripetal forces that would make the solid rotate about its radial axis (say spin about this axis), and that the tensile forces are very like (but opposite in direction) the centripetal forces that would make the solid rotate about any axis perpendicular to the solid’s radial axis. I’ll take the liberty of labeling these tidal forces anti-spin and anti-rotation forces because that's what they look like to me.

If the solid were to rotate with an appropriate angular velocity about an axis perpendicular to its radial ellipsoid-of-revolution axis, the centripetal accelerations generated by such rotation might exactly cancel the tensile tidal accelerations. In fact, since, as Penrose points out, the motion of the cloud or solid attracted by the central mass does not affect the nature of tidal forces, one might as well consider the cloud or solid to be in a circular orbit around the central mass, in which case the magnitude of the tidal forces would not vary.

I then wonder if the “appropriate angular velocity” above might not be one revolution per orbit, which would “freeze” the ellipsoid axis along the changing radial direction as it orbited, and also remove the tensile tidal distortion?

As in the case of The Moon presenting the same side to us as it orbits the Earth?

And might the anti-spin tidal forces cause a precession of the axis of rotation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I’d be interested in any web-accessible references about this. One reference I have found online is the paper "Tides and Spin Precession in Gravity Theories" by G.F.R. Ellis, J. Nel and E. van Elst, published in Class. Quantum Grav., 14, A19-A36 (1997), available at http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9609068. This paper discusses the general relativistic case but does not address the case discussed here.

1. What causes tides?

Tides are primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the Earth's oceans. The moon's gravity is stronger on the side of the Earth that is facing the moon, causing a bulge in the ocean. This creates a high tide. On the opposite side of the Earth, there is also a high tide due to the centrifugal force created by the Earth and moon's rotation around their shared center of mass.

2. How do tides affect marine life?

Tides play a crucial role in the life cycles and behaviors of many marine species. For example, some animals time their reproduction and migration patterns with the tides. Tides also bring in nutrients and food sources, which can impact the distribution and abundance of marine life.

3. What is the difference between a rotation and a spin?

A rotation refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point, such as the Earth's rotation around its axis. A spin, on the other hand, refers to the rotational movement of an object around its own axis, such as the spin of a top or the Earth's spin on its axis.

4. How does the Earth's rotation affect our daily lives?

The Earth's rotation is responsible for the cycle of day and night, which has a significant impact on our daily lives. It also affects weather patterns, ocean currents, and the Earth's magnetic field, which all have important implications for human activities and ecosystems.

5. Can the Earth's rotation and spin change over time?

Yes, the Earth's rotation and spin can change over time due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, tectonic plate movements, and changes in the Earth's internal structure. However, these changes occur very slowly and are not noticeable in our day-to-day lives.