1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time averaged poynting vector

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    Hello.

I am reading in my book about the Poynting vector for monochromatic plane waves. It includes a cosine term: cos^2 (kz - omega t + phi). My book states that the time average of this term is 1/2. Can anyone explain this? I don't understand how they work that out.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello ronaldoshaky! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a phi: φ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Use one of the standard trigonometric identities …

cos2x = 1/2 (1 + cos2x) :wink:

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    Hi tiny-tim.

Does finding the time average have something to do with integrating the cos^2 term?

Thanks again

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The time average of any periodic function, [itex]f(t)[/itex], with period [itex]T[/itex] is given by

[tex]\langle f\rangle_t=\frac{\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T}f(t)dt}{\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T}dt}=\frac{1}{T}\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T}f(t)dt[/tex]

Apply that to your [itex]\cos^2[/itex] term

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ronaldoshaky! :smile:
    "integrating" is a very technical word to use …

can't you tell the average of cosx (or of cos2x = (1 + cos2x)/2) just by looking at the graph?! :smile:

7. Apr 27, 2010 #6
    Thanks to all who replied. I will do both the graph and the integration. This has helped me a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook