Why Is the Time Average of the Cosine Squared Term in the Poynting Vector 1/2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Poynting vector for monochromatic plane waves, which includes a cosine term. The time average of this term is found to be 1/2, which is calculated by integrating the cosine function over a period. The conversation also suggests using a graph to determine the average.
ronaldoshaky
Hello.

I am reading in my book about the Poynting vector for monochromatic plane waves. It includes a cosine term: cos^2 (kz - omega t + phi). My book states that the time average of this term is 1/2. Can anyone explain this? I don't understand how they work that out.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ronaldoshaky! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a phi: φ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Use one of the standard trigonometric identities …

cos2x = 1/2 (1 + cos2x) :wink:

Hi tiny-tim.

Does finding the time average have something to do with integrating the cos^2 term?

Thanks again

The time average of any periodic function, [itex]f(t)[/itex], with period [itex]T[/itex] is given by

[tex]\langle f\rangle_t=\frac{\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T}f(t)dt}{\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T}dt}=\frac{1}{T}\int_{t_0}^{t_0+T}f(t)dt[/tex]

Apply that to your [itex]\cos^2[/itex] term

Hi ronaldoshaky! :smile:
ronaldoshaky said:
Does finding the time average have something to do with integrating the cos^2 term?

"integrating" is a very technical word to use …

can't you tell the average of cosx (or of cos2x = (1 + cos2x)/2) just by looking at the graph?! :smile:

Thanks to all who replied. I will do both the graph and the integration. This has helped me a lot!

What is a time averaged Poynting vector?

A time averaged Poynting vector is a mathematical quantity that describes the amount of energy flowing through a given area in a specific direction. It is commonly used in the study of electromagnetic fields and is a combination of the electric and magnetic field vectors.

How is the time averaged Poynting vector calculated?

The time averaged Poynting vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector, and then taking the average of this value over a specific period of time. It is typically represented by the symbol S.

What is the significance of the time averaged Poynting vector?

The time averaged Poynting vector is significant because it represents the amount of energy being transferred through a given area. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the distribution of energy in a system.

What are some real-world applications of the time averaged Poynting vector?

The time averaged Poynting vector is used in a variety of fields, including telecommunications, optics, and electronics. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different materials and environments.

How does the time averaged Poynting vector relate to the concept of power?

The time averaged Poynting vector is directly related to power, as it represents the amount of energy being transferred per unit time through a given area. This is commonly used in calculating the power output of electromagnetic devices and systems.