Time constant tao Which resistance do I use?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Thevenin resistance and how to solve for it in two different examples. It is mentioned to short the voltage source and then calculate the Thevenin resistance for both cases. The final solution is to short the voltage source and calculate the Thevenin resistance, which will give the desired value needed in the circuit.
frozenguy

Homework Statement

The top circuit is an example my professor did in class, and how he solved Tao. What I'm concerned with is how he is figure R for L/R

The second example is one I found online.

How do I figure the R to use? Is it simply the entire thevinin equivalent or a specific equivalent?

The Attempt at a Solution

TCquest.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Find Thevenin resistance. That's the value you need to put.

In the second case, short the voltage source.
Thevenin resistance = 0.5k || (2k+3K)

In the first case, short the voltage source.
The vertical 6k becomes ineffective as there is a short across it. The 3k and the horizontal 6k at the top are in parallel with regard to the inductor. Hence thevenin resistance = 6k || 3k.

asp_physics said:
Find Thevenin resistance. That's the value you need to put.

In the second case, short the voltage source.
Thevenin resistance = 0.5k || (2k+3K)

In the first case, short the voltage source.
The vertical 6k becomes ineffective as there is a short across it. The 3k and the horizontal 6k at the top are in parallel with regard to the inductor. Hence thevenin resistance = 6k || 3k.

Oh man.. I forgot about shorting them out ahhh.. Thanks I appreciate it!

FAQ: Time constant tao Which resistance do I use?

1. What is the time constant tao?

The time constant tao is a measure of the rate at which a system or process approaches equilibrium. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of systems that involve capacitors, resistors, or inductors.

2. How is the time constant tao calculated?

The time constant tao can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) by the capacitance (C) in a circuit. The formula is tao = RC.

3. What is the significance of the resistance in the time constant tao?

The resistance in the time constant tao is a measure of how much a circuit or system resists change. A higher resistance will result in a longer time constant, meaning the system will take longer to reach equilibrium.

4. Which resistance should be used in the time constant tao calculation?

The resistance used in the time constant tao calculation should be the total resistance in the circuit. This includes both the resistance of the individual components as well as any external resistance in the circuit.

5. Can the time constant tao be used for any type of circuit?

No, the time constant tao is specifically used for circuits that contain capacitors, resistors, or inductors. It cannot be used for circuits that do not contain these components.