Can the Time Derivative of a Vector Change if its Magnitude or Angle Decreases?

In summary, in chapter 1 of "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow, the derivative of a generic vector is discussed in terms of decomposing an increment into two perpendicular vectors, one parallel to the vector and the other perpendicular. Two equations are then derived, with the first describing the magnitude of the component of the derivative parallel to the vector and the second describing the magnitude of the component perpendicular to the vector. These equations do not fail if the angle or magnitude of the vector decrease with time, as the magnitude of the vector component will always be positive and the direction will depend on the sign of the derivative. The author may have left out absolute value bars in the derivation because they consider the position vector of a
PFuser1232
In chapter 1 of the book "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow, the derivative of a generic vector ##\vec{A}## is discussed in terms of decomposing an increment in ##\vec{A}##, ##Δ\vec{A}##, into two perpendicular vector vectors; one parallel to ##\vec{A}## and the other perpendicular to ##\vec{A}##
Two equations are then derived:
$$|\frac{d\vec{A}_{perp}}{dt}| = A\frac{dθ}{dt}$$
$$|\frac{d\vec{A}_{par}}{dt}| = \frac{dA}{dt}$$
Do these equations fail if ##θ## or ##A## decrease with time (since the magnitude of a vector is always positive or zero)?

Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
Do these equations fail if θθ or AA decrease with time (since the magnitude of a vector is always positive or zero)?
No. A is allowed to decrease with time. When you use polar coordinates, you introduce a sort of singularity when A = 0. When A tries to go through 0, θ changes value abruptly (by π). A will keep on being positive.

Svein said:
No. A is allowed to decrease with time. When you use polar coordinates, you introduce a sort of singularity when A = 0. When A tries to go through 0, θ changes value abruptly (by π). A will keep on being positive.

If A decreases with time, then ##\frac{dA}{dt}## is negative, right? But it also happens to be the magnitude of the vector I described earlier.

Just because dA/dt is negative doesn't mean that A is negative.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Just because dA/dt is negative doesn't mean that A is negative.

Chet

Of course. But the vector I was referring to wasn't ##\vec{A}##, I was talking about the derivative of the vector component of ##\vec{A}## parallel to ##\vec{A}## (left hand side).

MohammedRady97 said:
Of course. But the vector I was referring to wasn't ##\vec{A}##, I was talking about the derivative of the vector component of ##\vec{A}## parallel to ##\vec{A}## (left hand side).
The component of the derivative of ##\vec{A}## parallel to ##\vec{A}## also has a direction. That direction is either ##+\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}## or ##-\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}##, depending on the sign of dA/dt. The vector component of the derivative of the vector ##\vec{A}## with respect to time in the direction parallel to ##\vec{A}## is:

$$\frac{dA}{dt}\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}$$

Even if dA/dt is negative, the magnitude of this vector component is |dA/dt| (positive). The unit vector describing the direction of this component is equal to this vector divided by |dA/dt|. So the negative sign is associated with the unit vector and not the magnitude.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The component of the derivative of ##\vec{A}## parallel to ##\vec{A}## also has a direction. That direction is either ##+\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}## or ##-\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}##, depending on the sign of dA/dt. The vector component of the derivative of the vector ##\vec{A}## with respect to time in the direction parallel to ##\vec{A}## is:

$$\frac{dA}{dt}\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{A}|}$$

Even if dA/dt is negative, the magnitude of this vector component is |dA/dt| (positive). The unit vector describing the direction of this component is equal to this vector divided by |dA/dt|. So the negative sign is associated with the unit vector and not the magnitude.

Chet

So if we want to be more technical, we should put absolute value bars on the right hand side of the equation, right?
What about ##A\frac{d\theta}{dt}##? Does the same argument hold?

MohammedRady97 said:
So if we want to be more technical, we should put absolute value bars on the right hand side of the equation, right?
What about ##A\frac{d\theta}{dt}##? Does the same argument hold?
Yes.

Thanks! I am very curious as to where (and why) the author left out the absolute value bars in the derivation. I have attached two screenshots to this post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 380
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 425
MohammedRady97 said:
Thanks! I am very curious as to where (and why) the author left out the absolute value bars in the derivation. I have attached two screenshots to this post.
He probably didn't think of it in the way that you have thought about it.

Chet

Ok, you forgot to tell us the all-clarifying point given in the book. The author considers a function ##\vec{A}:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow V## with ##|\vec{A}|=\text{const}##. This implies that
$$|\vec{A}|^2=\vec{A} \cdot \vec{A}=\text{const} \; \Rightarrow \; \dot{\vec{A}} \cdot \vec{A}=0,$$
i.e., that ##\vec{A} \perp \dot{\vec{A}}##.

In more physical terms: If you take ##\vec{A}## as the position vector of a particle, ##|\vec{A}|=\text{const}## means that the particle is moving along a circle (or spherical shell). Then it's velocity is always perpendicular to the position, i.e., the radius vector of the circle/shell. Or more geometrically: The tangent vector to a circle or spherical shell is always perpendicular to the radius vector of this circle/shell. This is also well known from elementary Euclidean geometry!

vanhees71 said:
Ok, you forgot to tell us the all-clarifying point given in the book. The author considers a function ##\vec{A}:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow V## with ##|\vec{A}|=\text{const}##. This implies that
$$|\vec{A}|^2=\vec{A} \cdot \vec{A}=\text{const} \; \Rightarrow \; \dot{\vec{A}} \cdot \vec{A}=0,$$
i.e., that ##\vec{A} \perp \dot{\vec{A}}##.

In more physical terms: If you take ##\vec{A}## as the position vector of a particle, ##|\vec{A}|=\text{const}## means that the particle is moving along a circle (or spherical shell). Then it's velocity is always perpendicular to the position, i.e., the radius vector of the circle/shell. Or more geometrically: The tangent vector to a circle or spherical shell is always perpendicular to the radius vector of this circle/shell. This is also well known from elementary Euclidean geometry!

I agree. But how does this change anything?

Change what? It's just the short and elegant analytical-geometry proof of the fact that the radius vector of a circle or a spherical shell is always perpendicular to all tangent vectors on this curve/surface.

vanhees71 said:
Change what? It's just the short and elegant analytical-geometry proof of the fact that the radius vector of a circle or a spherical shell is always perpendicular to all tangent vectors on this curve/surface.

My bad, I misunderstood your post; I thought you were hinting at some relationship between what you were saying and what I was discussing earlier regarding absolute values.

1. What is a time derivative of a vector?

A time derivative of a vector is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a vector with respect to time. It measures how much a vector changes in magnitude and direction over a given period of time.

2. How is the time derivative of a vector calculated?

The time derivative of a vector is calculated by taking the derivative of each component of the vector with respect to time. This can be done using the chain rule of calculus.

3. What is the physical significance of the time derivative of a vector?

The time derivative of a vector is important in physics and engineering as it represents the velocity or acceleration of an object in motion. It helps us understand how a vector quantity changes over time and can be used to predict future behavior.

4. What is the difference between a time derivative and a spatial derivative of a vector?

A time derivative measures the change of a vector over time, while a spatial derivative measures the change of a vector in space. Time derivatives are typically used to study motion and change over time, while spatial derivatives are used to study changes in a vector over a given distance or position.

5. Can the time derivative of a vector be negative?

Yes, the time derivative of a vector can be negative. This indicates that the magnitude or direction of the vector is decreasing over time. It is important to consider both the magnitude and direction when interpreting the sign of the time derivative of a vector.