Time Dilation in Hypothetical Faster-than-Light Travel

In summary, the question is asking if an astronaut who traveled at twice the speed of light would have passed the 15 years on Earth by the time they returned. The answer is no, as the Earth guy claims that the traveller's clock would only have read 1.14 years by the time they returned.
JEJoll
This sounds like a homework question, but I promise you it's not (I'm not even a student). To be honest, the question is simply for my own personal curiosity, to test a theory about a video game.

My question is this:

If an astronaut traveled for 15 years (their time) at twice the speed of light (supposing that were possible), how much time would have passed on earth? Based on my basic understanding of relativity, I am guessing I might get some responses that it can't be calculated (due to infinity possibly showing up somewhere).

I'm not great at advanced math, but if no one wants to solve this, I'd settle for an equation or a rough idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question you have asked is exactly equivalent to asking "if the laws of physics do not apply, what do the laws of physics say about <insert nonsense of your choice>".

Nothing travels faster than light and objects with mass cannot even travel AT the speed of light so positing that they CAN is magic and you can make up whatever answer you like.

I suppose that makes sense. Then I guess I'll ask the next closest question: What is the answer to the above if we substitute 2 times the speed of light for 99% the speed of light?

I think you mean the other way around! "If we substitute 99% the speed of light for 2 times the speed of light?". The time dilation formula says that if time t passes in your reference frame, you will observe [tex]t'= t\sqrt{1- v^2/c^2}[/tex] to pass in a reference frame moving at speed v relative to you.

With v= .99c, v/c= .99 so [tex]t'= t\sqrt{1- .99^2}= t\sqrt{1- 0.9801}= t\sqrt{0.0199}= 0.141t[/tex]
or about 14% as fast as in your reference frame.

So, then, if I'm understanding correctly (and bare with me, I'm very much a laymen when it comes to physics), the traveler will experience time passage at only 14% of that of the observer (earth)?

So, based on what you've given me, if 15 years passed on earth, only 2.1 years would have passed for the traveler? 15 * .14 = 2.1

So then, if I'm interested in how much time passed on Earth for what seemed like 15 years to the traveler, I would solve 1/.14 * 15 to get my answer?

JEJoll said:
So then, if I'm interested in how much time passed on Earth for what seemed like 15 years to the traveler, I would solve 1/.14 * 15 to get my answer?
Somewhat surprisingly, the answer is no. As far as the traveller is concerned he is at rest while the Earth is moving away from him at .99c... so the traveller also finds that the moving Earth clock is running slow and only 1.14 years pass on Earth while the traveller experiences 15 years.

The key here is the relativity of simultaneity (to make sense of these problems you always have to consider time dilation, length contraction, and relativity of simultaneity because all three are always at work). According to the Earth guy, at the same time that his clock reads 15 years the traveller's clock reads 1.14 years - but because traveller has a different definition of at the same time it does not follow that according to traveller the two events "earth clock reads 15 years" and "traveller clock reads 1.14 years" happen at the same time. In fact, according to traveller at the same time that his clock read 15 the Earth clock read 1.14.

It gets more interesting if you do a round trip: Traveller leaves, goes to the distant star, turns around and returns to earth... And then the two of them compare their clocks to see which one experienced more time. This is the classic Twin Paradox, and we have many threads on it and http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html is an excellent reference.

All of this is so bizarre :D. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely check out that article, but I think that 30 mins before bed is not the best time to do so.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for two observers who are moving relative to each other. This is due to the effects of velocity and gravity on the passage of time.

2. How is time dilation calculated?

The formula for calculating time dilation is t = t0/√(1 - v2/c2), where t is the observed time, t0 is the time at rest, v is the relative velocity between the observers, and c is the speed of light.

3. What is the difference between time dilation and time contraction?

Time dilation and time contraction are two sides of the same coin. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an observer who is moving at high speeds, while time contraction refers to the speeding up of time for an observer who is moving at high speeds. Both are caused by the same phenomenon of relative motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of time dilation?

One well-known example of time dilation is the time difference experienced by astronauts on the International Space Station compared to people on Earth. The astronauts experience time passing slower due to their high velocity and distance from Earth's gravity. Another example is the time dilation experienced by high-speed particles in particle accelerators.

5. How does time dilation affect the concept of aging?

Time dilation can affect the concept of aging in that an observer who is moving at high speeds or is in a strong gravitational field will age slower than an observer who is at rest or in a weaker gravitational field. This can lead to situations where one person may age significantly less than another, even though they have experienced the same amount of time. However, the effects of time dilation are only noticeable at extreme speeds or in strong gravitational fields.