Time Dilation: Relative to Medium or Vacuum?

In summary, the Lorentz transformation is always relative to the speed of light in the vacuum. There is no such thing as a medium with speed of light.
jk22
If a medium with speed of light ##c_1## is considered, shall the Lorentz transformation be considered relative to it or to speed of light in the vacuum ?

I don't know if we could send particles like muons through water for example, to check this with their life time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jk22 said:
If a medium with speed of light #c_1# is considered
There is no such thing

Time dilation is always relative to the observer; it has nothing to do with the speed of light and there's no medium that has anything to do with it, unless I am misunderstanding your question

Last edited:
Are you asking if the ##c## in the Lorentz transform is ever anything other than the speed of light in vacuum? If so, no. It's always ##c##.

Likes PeroK
jk22 said:
If a medium with speed of light ##c_1## is considered, shall the Lorentz transformation be considered relative to it or to speed of light in the vacuum ?

I don't know if we could send particles like muons through water for example, to check this with their life time.
The ##c## in the Lorentz transform is always the speed of light in vacuum, not in a medium. It is perfectly possible for an object to have a velocity ##c_1<v<c##. This causes Cherenkov radiation, but does not violate physics in any way.

Likes Ibix
jk22 said:

What particle let's water flow through itself?

Or, what does it matter if there is a water flow outside of the particle?

A submarine fleet would experience some effects, like slowed down communication by light signals.

Last edited:
jk22 said:

The muons created by cosmic rays in the Earth's upper atmosphere, and detected at the Earth's surface, travel through air, not vacuum; the speed of light in air is slower than that in vacuum (not by as much as in water, true, but measurably slower), but their lifetimes are still the ones calculated by using the standard Lorentz transformation, using ##c## in vacuum.

jk22 said:
In this vein, Fizeau's experiments with measuring the speed of light included measuring its speed through flowing water. The results are consistent with the Lorentz transforms, and hence time dilation.

I'm a bit puzzled by the question in #1. You must carefully specify which time dilation you want to calculate, or more clearly formulated, which physics case you want to discuss. Is it about the Fizeau experiment?

It was meant measuring the lifetime of muons traveling through water which has a refractive index to deduce the value of the time dilation. But I don't know if muons are absorbed by water.

jk22 said:
It was meant measuring the lifetime of muons traveling through water which has a refractive index to deduce the value of the time dilation. But I don't know if muons are absorbed by water.
The constant ##c## in the Lorentz transforms is a scale factor between natural units of time and distance. It's more or less irrelevant what speed light travels at, except that the fact it travels at ##c## makes a lot of thought experiments easier.

We have plenty of evidence that it is always ##c##, not ##c/n##, that is the invariant speed. Fizeau's experiments and the existence of Cerenkov radiation have already been pointed out.

jk22 said:
This has been done with high energy neutrons from nuclear reactions. They go through water at ##c_1 < v < c##. If the time dilation were based on ##c_1## then they would have infinite energy and the Cherenkov radiation would vaporize everything on Earth instead of just emitting a pretty blue glow.

jk22 said:
What should the lifetime of muons have to do with the phase velocity of em. waves in water?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a slower rate for an object moving at high speeds or in a strong gravitational field compared to an object in a lower speed or weaker gravitational field.

2. What causes time dilation?

Time dilation is caused by the effects of special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity states that time appears to slow down for an object moving at high speeds, while general relativity states that time appears to pass slower in a strong gravitational field.

3. How does time dilation affect the measurement of time?

Time dilation affects the measurement of time by causing time to appear to pass slower for an object in motion or in a strong gravitational field. This means that clocks on a moving object or in a strong gravitational field will appear to run slower compared to clocks in a stationary object or in a weaker gravitational field.

4. Is time dilation a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through numerous experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment where atomic clocks were flown around the world in opposite directions and showed a difference in time when compared to stationary clocks on the ground.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

According to the theory of relativity, time dilation can be reversed by changing the speed or gravitational field of the object. However, this is only possible in theory and has not been achieved in practice as it would require immense amounts of energy.