Time dilation and photon detector

In summary, the problem involves selecting relativistic protons with a speed "v" by measuring their travel time between two detectors separated by a distance "L". A coincidence circuit is used to detect when the proton passes through both detectors at the same time, with a time difference between their arrival in the laboratory frame being calculated in the rest frame of the proton using the time dilation equation. The answer is -L/v * (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

Relativistic protons that have a certain speed "v" are selected by measuring the time it takes the proton to travel between two detectors separated by a distance "L". Each detector produces an electronic pulse of very short duration ([tex]\Delta[/tex]t << L/v) when a proton passes through it. A coincidence circuit is made by delaying the pulse from the first detector by an amount L/v. The signals from the two detectors are fed into a logic circuit that produces an output pulse if the pulses arrive at the same time. For input pulses that arrive at the same time as measured in the laboratory frame, calculate the time difference between arrival of the input pulses as measured in the rest frame of the proton.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = [tex]\Delta[/tex]t'/ (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2 where [tex]\Delta[/tex]t' is the time elapsed in reference frame of moving particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem seems too easy and so I'm wondering if I'm getting tricked somehow.

I take the [tex]\Delta[/tex]t elapsed in the reference frame of the lab to = L/v and then I use the time dilation equation to solve for [tex]\Delta[/tex]t'

[tex]\Delta[/tex]t' = L/v * (1 - v^2/c^2)^1/2

and then take the difference between the two (as asked in the problem)

L/v - L/v * (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2

Now, I'm a little iffy if I'm taking the reference frame of the proton correctly, because in the proton's frame the detectors are moving towards it, or with a velocity of -v... however since the equations don't use vectors I take it I'm dealing with scalar speed instead of v.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer I get is - L/v * (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2which seems correct, but I'm still not sure if I'm missing something.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

2. How does time dilation affect the measurement of time with a photon detector?

Time dilation can affect the measurement of time with a photon detector by causing time to appear to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds, resulting in a time difference between the detector and the observed event.

3. Can time dilation be observed with a photon detector?

Yes, time dilation can be observed with a photon detector by measuring the time difference between events observed at different speeds or in different gravitational fields.

4. What is the relationship between time dilation and the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. This means that time dilation occurs as a result of an object's speed approaching the speed of light.

5. How does time dilation affect the accuracy of photon detectors?

Time dilation can affect the accuracy of photon detectors by causing a time discrepancy between the detector and the observed event. This can be accounted for by taking into account the object's speed and gravitational field in the measurement.