Time estimation - mass spectrometer

In summary, the conversation discusses separating isotopes of uranium using a mass spectrometer. The question asks how long it would take to extract 1kg of the 235 isotope using a charged ion beam with a current of 1mA. The solution involves calculating the number of atoms in 1kg of uranium and using the equation I = (eN)/t to determine the time needed. The resulting solution is approximately 13 years.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I want to separate isotopes of uranium with some kind of a mass spectrometer. The isotopes are
Mass numbers 95
Atom numbers 235 and 238

Question:

How long does it take to extract 1kg of the 235 isotope if I have a ray of charged ions (charge = e) when the beam current is I=1mA ?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I searched for the mass of an atom of uran (238.0289 u). Then I calculated how much atoms I have by dividing the mass 1kg by the mass of one atom.

The euqation for the current is:
[tex] I= \frac {eN}{t}[/tex]

wheres e is the charge of an electron
N is the number of atoms
and t the time.

Now I solved the equation for t and used the given numbers.

Is this attempt right?
(my solution is t=1.13*10^5)

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is time estimation in the context of a mass spectrometer?

Time estimation in a mass spectrometer refers to the process of determining the amount of time it takes for a sample to travel through the instrument and reach the detector. This time can be used to calculate the sample's mass and identify its chemical components.

2. How does a mass spectrometer measure time?

A mass spectrometer measures time by using an electric field to accelerate the sample through the instrument. The time it takes for the sample to reach the detector is then recorded and used to calculate its mass and chemical composition.

3. Why is time estimation important in mass spectrometry?

Time estimation is important in mass spectrometry because it allows for accurate and precise measurements of a sample's mass and chemical composition. It also helps to determine the efficiency of the instrument and identify any potential errors in the data.

4. How does the mass of a sample affect the time estimation in a mass spectrometer?

The mass of a sample can affect the time estimation in a mass spectrometer in several ways. A heavier sample will take longer to travel through the instrument and reach the detector, resulting in a longer time estimation. Additionally, the mass of the sample can impact the accuracy and precision of the measurement, as heavier samples may experience more resistance and potential errors during the acceleration process.

5. Can time estimation be used to determine the structure of a molecule?

No, time estimation alone cannot be used to determine the structure of a molecule. It can provide information about the mass and chemical composition of a sample, but additional techniques, such as fragmentation analysis and computational modeling, are needed to determine the molecular structure.