1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Independent Schrodinger Equation Question!

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    1. State the one dimensional time - INdependant Schrodinger equation for a particle of mass m and total energy E in a potential V(x). For an infinite square potential well V(x)=0
    (0<x<l) and V(x) = infinite (all other x) find a general solutionfor the wavefunction of this function of this particle.

2. Time Independant Schrodinger equation

3. I know what the Schrondinger equation is so stateing that is no probelm, also for V(x) equal to 0 i can get a value however as for a general solution im kinda stuck could someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2
    This is the classic "particle in a box" problem (i'm sure you could actually just find the solution by wiki'ing it), however, let me offer some hints. By saying that V(x) = infinity at x>l and x<0 it is basically saying that your solution for the V(x)=0 region has to vanish at x=l and x=0 (i.e.) psi(l)=0 and psi(0)=0. This basically juts gives you two boundary conditions through which to determine the coefficients of the general solution found in the V(x)=0 region. Hope that helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook