Time it takes for block to slide down an incline in elevator

In summary, the homework statement is about finding the time it takes for a block to reach the end of an incline. Three different people gave different answers, but all of them use the equation f=ma to calculate the acceleration of the block.
FruitNinja

Homework Statement

MECHANICS:

Given Theta, L, M, and acceleration of elevator relative to ground. Find the time it takes for the block to reach the end of the incline.

Here is a diagram: http://k-elahian.com/tmp/nip.PNG

Homework Equations

f=ma
kinematics
relative acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten 3 different answers so far. Basically I do f=ma for the m mass and then split it into x and y (slanted system) and then I relate the accelerations of the the bodes Amg=Ame+Aeg (ground is g and elevator is e).
After finding Ame I use that in my kinematics equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is a bit odd, what does Amg=Ame+Aeg mean exactly? What is the A? Can you explain what exactly you mean?

I'm not sure if I understand what you've tried to do
But start by calculating the pseudo force on the block due to the elevators Motion and also the other forces on it. I think you can proceed from there.
You say you've got 3 answers
Unless you state what were your answers, how should we judge if it's right or wrong?

What does Aeg mean? Is that relative acceleration?

Yes,
Amg is acceleration of m relative to g
Aeg is acceleration of elevator relative to ground.
Since I cannot use fictitious forces I need to use relative accelerations.

Amg=Ame+Aeg just shows that the a of the mass relative to the ground is the sum of the 2 relative accelerations vectors

FruitNinja said:
Yes,
Amg is acceleration of m relative to g
Aeg is acceleration of elevator relative to ground.
Since I cannot use fictitious forces I need to use relative accelerations.

Amg=Ame+Aeg just shows that the a of the mass relative to the ground is the sum of the 2 relative accelerations vectors

Okay, so what equation did you find pre-substitution?

Student100 said:
Okay, so what equation did you find pre-substitution?
-mgsinΘ = mamgx for the x and -mgcosΘ+Fn=mamgy for the y
are the x and y components of f=ma for the block, but I am using a slanted coordinate frame

FruitNinja said:
-mgsinΘ = mamgx for the x and -mgcosΘ+Fn=mamgy for the y
are the x and y components of f=ma for the block, but I am using a slanted coordinate frame

Okay, so I don't understand what you're trying to write.

Maybe it will help if we just look at an incline plane first without the added acceleration, If we rotate the coordinate axis ##\theta##, what's the acceleration down the plane in this case?

Student100 said:
Okay, so I don't understand what you're trying to write.

Maybe it will help if we just look at an incline plane first without the added acceleration, If we rotate the coordinate axis ##\theta##, what's the acceleration down the plane in this case?

yeah I did that in the equation above. for the y, -mgcosΘ+Fn are the 2 forces acting on the block. (slanted frame). amgy just means the acceleration of the mass relative to the ground in the y direction

FruitNinja said:
yeah I did that in the equation above. for the y, -mgcosΘ+Fn are the 2 forces acting on the block. (slanted frame). amgy just means the acceleration of the mass relative to the ground in the y direction

Why is there an acceleration in the y direction in the rotated coordinate system?

Hang with me for a second I'll get you to the answer, ignore the elevator for a second, what's the sum of the forces in the x and y looking only at an inclined plane?

Student100 said:
Why is there an acceleration in the y direction in the rotated coordinate system?

Hang with me for a second I'll get you to the answer, ignore the elevator for a second, what's the sum of the forces in the x and y looking only at an inclined plane?

Ok, It's just Fg and Fn. Those are the only 2 forces acting on the block.

for X: -mgsinΘ , no fn here and for Y: -mgcosΘ+Fn

FruitNinja said:
Ok, It's just Fg and Fn. Those are the only 2 forces acting on the block.

for X: -mgsinΘ , no fn here and for Y: -mgcosΘ+Fn

So ##mgsin(\theta)=ma## and ##N - mgcos(\theta) = 0##, correct?

You know why the y direction is in equilibrium when we rotate the system, correct?

Student100 said:
So ##mgsin(\theta)=ma## and ##N - mgcos(\theta) = 0##, correct?

You know why the y direction is in equilibrium when we rotate the system, correct?

Yes, if we were not in a elevator yes. But that would be a non-inertial frame so we can't do that, according to my teacher

FruitNinja said:
Yes, if we were not in a elevator yes. But that would be a non-inertial frame so we can't do that, according to my teacher

Yes, so if you now look back at the accelerating system relative to the plane, this time don't rotate your coordinate system and solve for ##a_{rel}## relative down the plane.

1. What factors affect the time it takes for a block to slide down an incline in an elevator?

The time it takes for a block to slide down an incline in an elevator is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the block, the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline, and the acceleration of the elevator.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the time it takes for a block to slide down in an elevator?

The steeper the incline, the faster the block will slide down in the elevator due to the increased force of gravity acting on the block.

3. Why does the mass of the block affect the time it takes for it to slide down in an elevator?

A heavier block will experience a stronger force of gravity, causing it to accelerate faster and reach the bottom of the incline in a shorter amount of time.

4. What is the role of friction in determining the time it takes for a block to slide down in an elevator?

The coefficient of friction between the block and the incline affects the amount of resistance the block experiences, which can either slow down or speed up its descent down the incline in the elevator.

5. How does the acceleration of the elevator affect the time it takes for a block to slide down an incline?

The acceleration of the elevator can either add to or subtract from the force of gravity acting on the block, depending on the direction of the elevator's movement. This can affect the speed at which the block slides down the incline in the elevator.