Time of closest approach between two particles

In summary: Yes, but the angle will depend on both the velocity ratio and the ratio of the initial...l1l2Yes, I know. That is why I am trying to find the angle first.
Davidllerenav said:
Ok. so I have to make a triangle, right? To find the minimum distance.
TSny said:
I don't believe that the line segment representing the initial distance between the objects will be of use. If you've drawn the trajectory of 2 and the line segment representing dmin, you might see two right triangles that you can work with.
BvU said:
show us in the drawing ...
Like this?

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 323
Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
Davidllerenav said:
Like this?
Yes. You can work with the two right triangles in the diagram to find dmin.

There are other geometrical constructions that can be used to get the answer, including constructions that do make use of the line between the two initial positions of the objects. So, you should explore various approaches.

TSny said:
Yes. You can work with the two right triangles in the diagram to find dmin.

There are other geometrical constructions that can be used to get the answer, including constructions that do make use of the line between the two initial positions of the objects. So, you should explore various approaches.
Thanks, I will look for other ways.

Davidllerenav said:
Thanks, I will look for other ways.
You might also wish to consider that in the reference frame where object 1 is at rest at the origin, the angular momentum of 2 about the origin is conserved. This means that the initial angular momentum is the same as the angular momentum at the point of closest approach.

kuruman said:
You might also wish to consider that in the reference frame where object 1 is at rest at the origin, the angular momentum of 2 about the origin is conserved. This means that the initial angular momentum is the same as the angular momentum at the point of closest approach.
I haven't seen momentum in my class yet.

You don't really need it but it's a compact way to express what diagram to draw. It involves making use of the line between the two initial positions of the objects as @TSny suggested in #37.

What is galilean transformation? I was able to do this problem easily using maxisimation of a function using differentiation. It's from I.E. Irodov.

PhysicsKT said:
What is galilean transformation? I was able to do this problem easily using maxisimation of a function using differentiation. It's from I.E. Irodov.
It's what your friend says it is.
google is your friend :rolleyes: -- at least in some cases.