Time of Postgraduate School :frown:

In summary: That's a good start!In summary, my greatest concerns are that I am clueless about postgrad school and tuition rates are a big obstacle for me. However, I have planned to apply to the following schools: University of Washington at Seattle, UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, UC Los Angeles, UCB, Cornell, NYU, U Chicago, University of Texas at Austin, UT Austin, UTD, and SMU. My first question is that regardless what school I apply, what kind of student is easier to have tuition waived? PhD or Master? My next question is that which is the most promising school and degree in term of future career. Not that I am money-sucking
leon1127
I am so clueless about applying postgrad school. Thus, I have few concerns about them. but first of all, I have planned to apply the following school:

University of Washington at Seattle PhD Maths
UC San Diego PhD Maths
UC berkeley PhD Applied Maths
UC Los Angeles PhD Maths
UCB M Financial Engineering
Cornell M Operational Research
NYU M Maths in Finance
U Chicago M Financial Maths
University of Texas at Austin PhD Applied Maths
UT Austin MA Actuarial
SMU M Operations Research
UTD PhD Applied Maths

my first question is that regardless what school I apply, what kind of student is easier to have tuition waived? PhD or Master?
I ask this question because tuition is my major impediment. The bottom line of this is that as long as I can get a job afterward, then I don't care how much time I put in my degree.

the next question is that which is the most promising school and degree in term of future career. Not that I am money-sucking animal, but I need money for supporting my family and my further dream .

third question: I am very interested into variational principle, and I also like tensor, and differential geometry. What school out there has a strong research group in that?

forth question: I am a Texas resident currently, would the rate of tuition differ if I apply out-of-state school as Master or PhD?

fifth question: I am considering SMU and UTD as back-up school. Are they appropriate to be considered?

sixth question: According to my plan, I will take all possible classes for Applied Maths and Stat degree. What is a better title for job purpose? What about further educational purpose
If I choose one, does that move eliminate my choise of type of job?

seventh question: Beside school in Texas, what school on my list have the best cost with respect to its quality?

last question: What do I need to prepare for application? I can only think of Statement of Purpose, GRE, GRE Subject, Application, Transcript, and Recommandation Letters.

I am one of the first to go to college in my family. I want to make things prefect so that later I can be helpful to my other family member. I rather be a good role model than a bad one.
If anyone has answer to any of those questions, I strongly appreciate that!:smile: :smile: :smile: :approve:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have advice?? please

leon1127 said:
I am so clueless about applying postgrad school.

my first question is that regardless what school I apply, what kind of student is easier to have tuition waived? PhD or Master?
forth question: I am a Texas resident currently, would the rate of tuition differ if I apply out-of-state school as Master or PhD?
last question: What do I need to prepare for application? I can only think of Statement of Purpose, GRE, GRE Subject, Application, Transcript, and Recommandation Letters.

As I recently passed through the whole process, I understand your anxiety (at least that's what radiates from your post :wink: ). My field is EE/ME so I can't assess the quality of the universities you listed in the field of mathematics but...

First of all, you can check the university ratings in US News review of graduate schools that is printed annually. There is also an online version (you can have a peek at the stats for free, but you have to pay for the full thing).

As I have been made to believe, PhD applicants have a better chance to be offered a fellowship/assistantship which usually means you get a tuition waiver and a stipend (fellowship) or a salary (assistantship). I believe that has to do with your expected duration of your stay - you stay longer, you work more at the university and do more research there and they are more interested in that than in students that leave after only a few semesters.

Out-of-state tuition rate is much larger than that for residents. But if you plan to get a tuition waived, and you have grades/recommendations/results to back it up, than it doesn't matter. As for out-of-state difference between Masters and PhD - I don't know. I didn't look into Masters programs at all...

In addition to everything you listed, you would need a CV as well (at least I did). But every school has different recommendations, eg. some of them don't require GRE results, others have multiple essays instead of one SoP.

My advice - do your research on each school you plan to apply to. E-mail professors, grad students, anyone working in the field you like at those schools and find out if you would like it. And, afterwards, when it will come to selection process, they'll have your name ringing somewhere in their heads. Some things will discourage you along the way, but if you have a goal and love for your field, then just go forward.

Good luck!

Atrus said:
As I recently passed through the whole process, I understand your anxiety (at least that's what radiates from your post :wink: ). My field is EE/ME so I can't assess the quality of the universities you listed in the field of mathematics but...

First of all, you can check the university ratings in US News review of graduate schools that is printed annually. There is also an online version (you can have a peek at the stats for free, but you have to pay for the full thing).

As I have been made to believe, PhD applicants have a better chance to be offered a fellowship/assistantship which usually means you get a tuition waiver and a stipend (fellowship) or a salary (assistantship). I believe that has to do with your expected duration of your stay - you stay longer, you work more at the university and do more research there and they are more interested in that than in students that leave after only a few semesters.

Out-of-state tuition rate is much larger than that for residents. But if you plan to get a tuition waived, and you have grades/recommendations/results to back it up, than it doesn't matter. As for out-of-state difference between Masters and PhD - I don't know. I didn't look into Masters programs at all...

In addition to everything you listed, you would need a CV as well (at least I did). But every school has different recommendations, eg. some of them don't require GRE results, others have multiple essays instead of one SoP.

My advice - do your research on each school you plan to apply to. E-mail professors, grad students, anyone working in the field you like at those schools and find out if you would like it. And, afterwards, when it will come to selection process, they'll have your name ringing somewhere in their heads. Some things will discourage you along the way, but if you have a goal and love for your field, then just go forward.

Good luck!

What is a CV?

All questions that I asked don't really relate to ranks. I have looked up a lot of schools from the list but i am afraid if I missed any school that would have the research that I would enjoy.

Thx for your advice, it is helpful

leon1127 said:
What is a CV?

All questions that I asked don't really relate to ranks. I have looked up a lot of schools from the list but i am afraid if I missed any school that would have the research that I would enjoy.

Thx for your advice, it is helpful

CV, or resume (although some people say that those are different), is a list of your educational and professional experience. It usually also contains contact details and basic info about you, like date of birth.

Here's a helpful link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae

Hope you make it into desired program!

1. What is the duration of postgraduate school?

The duration of postgraduate school varies depending on the program and the institution. Generally, a master's degree takes 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take anywhere from 3-7 years.

2. What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree?

A master's degree is a graduate-level degree that typically requires coursework and a thesis or final project. A doctoral degree, on the other hand, is a more advanced degree that involves original research and a dissertation. Doctoral degrees are also considered terminal degrees, meaning they are the highest level of education in a particular field.

3. Can I work while pursuing a postgraduate degree?

It is possible to work while pursuing a postgraduate degree, but it can be challenging to balance both commitments. Many programs offer part-time options or allow students to work on research while also working. It is important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills before deciding to work while in postgraduate school.

4. Will I receive financial support during postgraduate school?

Many postgraduate programs offer financial support in the form of scholarships, grants, or teaching/research assistantships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process. Additionally, some employers may offer tuition reimbursement for employees pursuing postgraduate degrees.

5. What are the benefits of attending postgraduate school?

Attending postgraduate school can lead to career advancement, higher salaries, and increased job opportunities. It also allows for further specialization in a particular field and can provide valuable research experience. Additionally, postgraduate education can lead to personal growth and development.