How Are Nebular Images Composed?

• Thread starter shaggywolfhou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, the question being asked is whether or not the pictures of nebulae, such as the helix nebula, are adjusted in any way to correct for the difference in light travel time due to the finite speed of light. The answer is that the pictures are received exactly as they would appear to the naked eye, regardless of the distance from the nebula. So even if we were closer to the nebula, the difference in light travel time would remain the same.
shaggywolfhou
I'm hoping that someone can answer a question that has been bothering me for sometime now and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

We've all seen the fantastic pictures of nebular like e.g. the helix nebular, since the nebular I believe is approx 700 light years across, and that Light has a finite speed. This means that the light from one side will take longer than the other to reach us.

What I want to know is when these pictures are produced/taken is there some kind of adjustment done to 'correct' it or is it as would be seen with the eye if that were possible?

Thanks in advance, and please feel free to give a thorough answer than just yes :D

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The pictures are as received here.

The images are exactly what they would look like no matter the distance from the nebula. Even if we were 1/4 the distance, the difference between the light leaving the far side of the nebula and the light leaving the near side is exactly the same at that distance as it is on earth.

What is a nebula?

A nebula is a large cloud of gas and dust in outer space. These clouds are made up of various elements, such as hydrogen, helium, and other heavier elements, and can range in size from a few light-years to hundreds of light-years across.

How are nebular images created?

Nebular images are created using various methods, including telescopes, cameras, and computer software. These images are usually composed of multiple images taken at different wavelengths, which are then combined to create a final image with enhanced detail and color.

Why are nebular images important to study?

Nebular images provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies. By studying the structure and composition of these clouds, scientists can better understand the processes that lead to the creation of new stars and the formation of galaxies.

What are some common features found in nebular images?

Nebular images often show various structures, such as filaments, bubbles, and pillars, which are created by the interaction between the gas and dust within the nebula. These images also often display bright, colorful regions where young, hot stars are forming.

Can nebular images be viewed with the naked eye?

Some nebulae, such as the Orion Nebula, can be seen with the naked eye under dark, clear skies. However, most nebular images are only visible through telescopes or with the aid of long-exposure photography. Additionally, different wavelengths of light may be needed to see different features of a nebula, making it difficult to view with the naked eye.