Time to Heat 125L Water to 60C

In summary, the question asks how long it would take for a 2kW heater to raise the temperature of 125 litres of water from 20C to 60C, given an average heat loss of 150W. Using the specific heat capacity equation, the calculation shows that it would take approximately 190 minutes. However, it is important to be clear and precise in notation and statement of the solution.
GoodOldLimbo

Homework Statement

A tank contains 125 litres of water. If it's temperature is 20C, how long would it take for a 2kW immersion heater to raise its temperature to 60C if the average rate of heat loss is 150W?

Homework Equations

I am using the specific heat capacity equation:

ΔQ = mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔQ = 125 x 4200 x 40 = 21, 000, 000 J

2kW = 2kJ per second.

Concerning Heat Loss:
2000W - 150 W = 1850 W = 1.85kW

21,000KJ = 11, 351 seconds.

11, 351 / 60 = Approximately 190 minutes.

I kind of get the feeling I'm not right. Any tips? Would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless your course includes thermal mixing and nonlinear differential equations, that seems to be fine.
The way you could check this sort of thing is relate it to common experience ...

Your figure works out to 1.5mins to heat 1L of water by 40deg, or 3mins to start it boiling.
A good-sized cup would be about 1/3L ... or 1min to start boiling.
Does that seem reasonable?

An electric kettle is usually 2-3kW ... does it normally take about a minute or so to boil a cup of water?

GoodOldLimbo said:

Homework Statement

A tank contains 125 litres of water. If it's temperature is 20C, how long would it take for a 2kW immersion heater to raise its temperature to 60C if the average rate of heat loss is 150W?

Homework Equations

I am using the specific heat capacity equation:

ΔQ = mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔQ = 125 x 4200 x 40 = 21, 000, 000 J

2kW = 2kJ per second.

Concerning Heat Loss:
2000W - 150 W = 1850 W = 1.85kW

21,000KJ = 11, 351 seconds.

11, 351 / 60 = Approximately 190 minutes.

I kind of get the feeling I'm not right. Any tips? Would be appreciated.

Your answer seems fine. I'd just take marks down for the statement "21,000KJ = 11, 351 seconds." which is obviously wrong.

dauto is correct - someone marking what you wrote will expect you to be articulate.
It is easy to see what you mean, but it is sloppy notation.

Your approach is correct, however, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, the specific heat capacity of water is 4,200 J/kg°C, not 4,200 J/L°C. So, the mass of water should be converted from liters to kilograms. This can be done by multiplying 125 L by the density of water, which is approximately 1 kg/L. This gives a mass of 125 kg.

Secondly, the heat loss rate should be calculated as a percentage of the heater's power. In this case, it would be (150/2,000) x 100 = 7.5%. This means that only 92.5% of the heater's power is actually heating the water.

With these corrections, the calculation would be as follows:

ΔQ = 125 x 4,200 x 40 = 21,000,000 J

2kW = 2,000 J/s

11,351 seconds x (1/0.925) = 12,267 seconds or approximately 205 minutes.

So, the estimated time to heat 125 L of water from 20°C to 60°C with a 2kW heater and a heat loss rate of 150W would be approximately 205 minutes. However, this is just an estimate and the actual time may vary depending on other factors such as the efficiency of the heater and the insulation of the tank.

1. How long does it take to heat 125L of water to 60C?

The time it takes to heat 125L of water to 60C depends on several factors, such as the power of the heating source and the starting temperature of the water. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.

2. What is the best way to heat 125L of water to 60C?

The most efficient way to heat 125L of water to 60C is by using a heating source with high power output, such as a gas or electric water heater. It is also important to insulate the container holding the water to prevent heat loss.

3. Can I use a microwave to heat 125L of water to 60C?

No, a microwave is not suitable for heating large volumes of water. It is designed for smaller quantities and can be dangerous to use for heating large amounts of water.

4. How does the starting temperature of the water affect the time it takes to heat to 60C?

The starting temperature of the water has a significant impact on the time it takes to heat to 60C. The colder the water, the longer it will take to reach the desired temperature. This is because it takes more energy to raise the temperature of colder water compared to warmer water.

5. Is it safe to heat 125L of water to 60C?

Yes, it is generally safe to heat 125L of water to 60C. However, it is important to follow safety precautions when dealing with hot water, such as wearing protective gear and being cautious of steam and hot surfaces. It is also important to use a reliable heating source and to monitor the temperature closely.