Time to reach terminal velocity

In summary, to calculate the time it would take to reach terminal velocity while accounting for air resistance, you can use Newton's 2nd law and find equations for the force of gravity and drag force. Then, solve for v(t) using the equation dv/dt = Fnet / m. However, if the drag force is proportional to v or v^2, the speed will only approach terminal velocity but never actually reach it.
JC1

Homework Statement

What is a formula I can use to calculate time to reach terminal velocity? Must account for air resistance during the time it took to reach terminal velocity.

Known:

mass of object
density of object
radius of object

magnitude of terminal velocity

height of fall (yes, it's high enough to reach tv)

variables necessary to calculate force of drag (done)

Homework Equations

I have no idea what equation I can use to calculate the time it would take to reach terminal velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to attempt a solution without a formula to use. My text is awful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can apply Newton's 2nd law:

Fnet = ma = m dv/dt

Fnet = is the difference between the force of gravity and the drag force.

See if you can find equations for these.

Then you can sove

dv/dt = Fnet / m

for v(t).

If the drag force is proportional to v or v^2, which are the two most common scenarios, terminal velocity is never reached. Instead, the speed asymptotically approaches terminal velocity, and at some point becomes so close that, for all practical intents and purposes, it's equal to terminal velocity.

You can see this from the speed vs. time relationship for a F=-kv drag force. Integrating Newton's second law gives you an exponential relationship that asymptotically approaches mg/k, but never quite reaches it.

FAQ: Time to reach terminal velocity

What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the highest speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. At this speed, the forces of gravity and air resistance are equal and the object will no longer accelerate.

What factors affect the time to reach terminal velocity?

The time to reach terminal velocity depends on several factors, including the object's mass, shape, and surface area. Objects with larger mass and surface area will take longer to reach terminal velocity compared to smaller and more streamlined objects.

How is the time to reach terminal velocity calculated?

The time to reach terminal velocity can be calculated using the formula t = (2m/g)(1-p/A), where t is the time, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, p is the density of the fluid, and A is the object's cross-sectional area.

Can the time to reach terminal velocity be changed?

Yes, the time to reach terminal velocity can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, increasing or decreasing the object's mass, shape, or surface area can change the time it takes to reach terminal velocity.

Why is understanding terminal velocity important?

Understanding terminal velocity is important for a variety of reasons. It is essential for designing safe parachutes, calculating the impact of objects falling from a height, and understanding the behavior of fluids and air resistance. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.