Can time slow down inside a black hole? The science behind 'Time Trap

• Thread starter dahoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: I won't tell you the ending here.. but just want to know if someone can see it coming :)There's another time trap movie by Michael Shanks of Star Gate SG-1 fame:
dahoa
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4815122/

I just watched one of the best sci-fi movies in months last night. Since this won't be shown in other countries and only a few among you may watch it... the above url gives summary of the movie.

For folks who don't plan to watch it. Just a bit of comment about the summary (it's not really spoiler but just summary). Time passes differently not in minutes or hours.. but relativistic.. like inside a black hole.

Ok. Try to guess the ending if you can.. what is the ending? :)

I won't tell you the ending here.. but just want to know if someone can see it coming :)

"Time Trap" is a science fiction adventure movie released in 2017. The film was directed by Mark Dennis and Ben Foster. It's a relatively low-budget independent movie that gained attention for its unique and intriguing premise.

The story revolves around a group of young explorers who set out to find a legendary cave that's rumored to be a time portal. As they venture deeper into the cave, they discover that time operates differently inside, leading to strange and unexpected phenomena. They encounter a world where time is nonlinear, and they must navigate through various time periods and deal with the challenges and dangers that arise.

"Time Trap" blends elements of science fiction and adventure, offering an intriguing take on the concept of time travel. The film has gained a cult following for its inventive storytelling and creative use of a limited budget. If you enjoy indie sci-fi films with unique premises and unexpected twists, "Time Trap" may be worth a watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's another time trap movie by Michael Shanks of Star Gate SG-1 fame:

Sounds like an interesting film. I will have to check it out.

One of my favorite stories was when Spock went back in time to his childhood to see who rescued him from certain death only to discover it was himself. You are left with the paradox of how that could even happen because we think too linearly.

I also liked the creativity in the Back To The Future stories and how they had to carefully weave the stories together with multiple instances of the same character on different world lines.

Minute Physics did a video on it:

Another time travel like story I like is the original Time Machine by HG Wells. In particular the question on what three books would you take back to the future. I'm still searching for the what I would take: slide-rule, ...

jedishrfu said:
There's another time trap movie by Michael Shanks of Star Gate SG-1 fame:
I also liked the creativity in the Back To The Future stories and how they had to carefully weave the stories together with multiple instances of the same character on different world lines.
There are a lot of complicated time lines changes in BTTF.
Marty goes back to 1955, interferes with his parents meeting, creating a future where he doesn't exist. (new timeline 1)
He works to correct this, creating yet another future where his life is different than what he remembers.(new timeline 2) (Anyone else wonder why the new successful Mcfly family live in the same house as the "original" version? Also, since we saw earlier in the film that his interfering with his parents meeting eventually had physical repercussions (his fading away), would this "ripple effect" eventually lead to Marty adapting to his new 1985? ( memories of his time line 0 life being replaced with time line 1 memories?)
He also gives Doc information that saves his life later.

They travel to the future where they alter Marty Jr.'s life creating timeline 2.2, and where future Biff goes back to 1955 and creates yet another timeline. (new time line 3)

Doc and Marty go back to 1955 to fix what Biff does. This creates yet another time line which will be close to new time line 2.

Doc gets zapped back to 1885, where his actions create new time line 4, and forcing Marty to enlist the help of 1955 Doc.(In the First movie, we find that at the end, Doc ignored his own warnings and read the note Marty gave him (new time line 2) but now we are in new timeline 4. We have to assume that this 1955 version of Doc, even after learning of his own death in 1885, still decides to read the note Marty gave him earlier. Because if he didn't, he would die in 1985, never bring the time machine to 2015, to be stolen by Biff...)

Marty travels back to the 1885 with the help of 1955 Doc to prevent (future) Doc's death there, creating new time line 5. Marty returns to 1985 (time line 5), while Doc remains in 1885 with Clara, and eventually builds another time machine. Thus removing Clara from the time line and preventing her existence from causing further problems. ( As an aside, you'd think the theft of a train and its subsequent crashing into a ravine would have more of an effect on future events than just the renaming of a ravine)

Marty doesn't participate in the drag race, thus changing his 2015 future and creating new time line 6. (I wonder what Marty's original time line 0 2015 would have been like. His dad wouldn't have been a success, he wouldn't have had the truck to race with, and wouldn't have had the crash. However, he also wouldn't have likely had the confidence to do anything with his music. Just too many variables to make a guess.)

By the time new timeline 4 rolls around, there is a period where there are 4 DeLoreans in 1955.
1. The original DeLorean Marty takes back to 1955
2. The stolen DeLorean Biff uses
3. The Delorean Marty and Doc use to return to 1955
4. The Delorean Doc hid in the mine for Marty to find.

There are also 2 Deloreans in 1885
1. The Delorean Doc has hidden in the mine (too bad Doc didn't save the gas from the gas tank from this car, it would have saved them a lot of trouble. Of course it would also made for a much shorter movie.)
2. the Delorean Marty travels back to 1885 in.

Likes jedishrfu
Source Code, little offering about bomber and a commuter train; rather liked it. Have to call it a "rerun" of Groundhog Day, I think because I never watched Groundhog Day, can't stand Bill Murray.

Bystander said:
Have to call it a "rerun" of Groundhog Day, I think because I never watched Groundhog Day, can't stand Bill Murray.

Although there are some similarities between Groundhog Day and Source Code, there are many small and large differences, e.g., one is a comedy and the other a suspense film. Also, the endings are completely different with respect to the resolution of the repetition of periods of time. I like both films very much.

I have also not liked some of Bill Muray's films, but this one is one of his best, and he fits this particular comic role very well.

Time Trap is not about time travel.

In one scene (I won't share any spoilers don't worry).. you can see the person entering a cave but from the outside.. he seems to freeze just when entering it because time slows down inside the cave..

This reminds me of Hawking and Black Holes. When you were able to cross the event horizon, time slows down such that it would seem like forever for the astronaut entering the black hole.

I forgot. When one is inside black holes. How fast can the universe passes by? how many billions of years for each hour inside a black hole? Or is it like time totally froze such that even after the universe dies from heat death, etc. It's still one second inside a black hole? What's the formula for the time difference?

1. What is the premise of "Time Trap: The Movie"?

"Time Trap: The Movie" follows a group of students who stumble upon a mysterious cave where time passes at a much slower rate than the outside world. As they explore deeper, they must navigate through different time periods and confront the dangers that come with it.

2. Is "Time Trap: The Movie" based on any scientific theories?

While the concept of time dilation and time loops are based on scientific theories, "Time Trap: The Movie" is a fictional story and should not be considered a scientifically accurate representation of these concepts.

3. Who are the main characters in "Time Trap: The Movie"?

The main characters in "Time Trap: The Movie" are Professor Hopper, a scientist who has been studying the cave for years, and his daughter Taylor, who joins a group of students in search for her missing father. The students include Jackie, Cara, and Vee.

4. How does the cave in "Time Trap: The Movie" manipulate time?

The cave in "Time Trap: The Movie" contains a gravitational anomaly that causes time to slow down inside. This is known as time dilation, where time moves slower in areas with stronger gravitational pull.

5. Is "Time Trap: The Movie" a sequel or part of a larger franchise?

"Time Trap: The Movie" is a standalone film and not part of a larger franchise or series. However, there is a short film called "Time Trap: The Short" that serves as a prequel to the movie and provides more background on the characters and the cave.