Timelike Geodesics: Solving Reissner Nordstrom Line Element

• Thread starter alex_b93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesics
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Reissner Nordstrom line element to show that the time-like geodesics obey the given equation. The attempt at a solution involves finding the Euler-Lagrange equation and using it to calculate the desired equation, but there are some discrepancies in the results. The conversation also provides two hints for solving the problem, involving the use of a constant of motion and the conservation of energy.
alex_b93

Homework Statement

Using the Reissner Nordstrom line element, which I've given in the relevant equations section, I'm looking to show that the time like Geodesics obey the equation again show below.

Homework Equations

Line Element[/B]
##ds^2= - U(r)c^2dt^2 +\frac{dr^2}{U(r)} +r^2(d\theta^2 + sin^2(\theta)d\phi^2)##
##U(r)=1-\frac{r_s}{r}+\frac{G^2Q^2}{r^2}##

Equation to Obey
##\frac{1}{2} (\frac{dr}{d\tau})^2 +V(r) = \varepsilon##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've presumed as we are looking for a ##dr'## the Euler Lagrange equation we would be interested would be[/B]
##\frac{d}{d\tau}(\frac{\partial L^2}{\partial r'}) - \frac{\partial L^2}{\partial r}##

If I work this through my answer doesn't really resemble the equation I'm looking for, I get the ##(\frac{dr}{d\tau})^2##, but I can't get the ##\frac{1}{2}## factor, plus I have other terms in the denominator.
I also have a lot of other terms but they could possibly be grouped into ##V(r)##.

I was hoping somebody could confirm whether the method I'm attempting is correct, as then I'll know if I'm incorrectly calculating it or it is something else.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, but why don't you first write down what you think [itex]L[/itex] is. Your equations don't define [itex]L[/itex].

Here are a couple of other hints:

First, [itex]\tau[/itex] and [itex]s[/itex] are the same thing, so [itex]\frac{ds}{d\tau} = 1[/itex]. So if you take the expression for [itex]s[/itex], this gives you one "constant of the motion".

Second, if you have a Lagrangian of the form [itex]L(r, \frac{dr}{d\tau}, t, \frac{dt}{d\tau}, \theta, \frac{d\theta}{d\tau}, \phi \frac{d\phi}{d\tau})[/itex], and [itex]L[/itex] doesn't mention [itex]\tau[/itex], then the following quantity is conserved (has the same value for all [itex]\tau[/itex]):

[itex]H = (\sum_j P_j U^j) - L[/itex]

where [itex]U^j = \frac{d x^j}{d\tau}[/itex] and [itex]P_j = \dfrac{\partial L}{\partial U^j}[/itex].

So [itex]H[/itex] gives you a second constant of the motion. So [itex]H = E[/itex], for some constant [itex]E[/itex]

1. What is a timelike geodesic?

A timelike geodesic is a path in spacetime that represents the trajectory of a massive particle. It is the shortest possible path between two points in spacetime, taking into account the curvature of space caused by massive objects.

2. What is the Reissner Nordstrom line element?

The Reissner Nordstrom line element is a mathematical formula used to describe the spacetime around a charged, non-rotating black hole. It is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity.

3. How do you solve the Reissner Nordstrom line element?

To solve the Reissner Nordstrom line element, you must first set up the equations of motion for a particle moving along a timelike geodesic in this spacetime. This involves finding the geodesic equations and solving them using techniques such as separation of variables or numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of timelike geodesics and the Reissner Nordstrom line element?

Timelike geodesics and the Reissner Nordstrom line element have many applications in astrophysics and cosmology. They can be used to study the behavior of massive particles around black holes, as well as the properties of the universe on a large scale.

5. Is the Reissner Nordstrom line element the only solution for a charged black hole?

No, the Reissner Nordstrom line element is not the only solution for a charged black hole. There are other solutions, such as the Kerr-Newman solution, which takes into account both charge and rotation of the black hole. However, the Reissner Nordstrom line element is the simplest solution and is often used for theoretical calculations and approximations.