1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips for sorting conferences in CV

1. Aug 20, 2015 #1
    I am a freshly graduated engineering student and am currently writing my first CV. At the end of my studies I attended one conference as a research paper author and another one as a guest lecturer on the same topic as the previous conference. I suppose both are important to be included in a CV, but I am not sure how to classify both as they are not the same activities (guest lecturer and paper presentation).
    Also, I wanted to know if I can include in advance another conference where I am presenting as a research author in approximately one month.
    Thank you in advance for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2015 #2
    The attendance to conferences is important for CV unless you have been involved in some presentations, i.e. oral or poster. If you only participated as author of a research paper then this will appear in your list of articles.

You can also mention that you are preparing a research article for a future conference, put it in you list of articles as "in preparation" or "to be presented at <name_of_the_conference>".

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the fast response! On the first conference, I was the only author and did the oral presentation. On the other one, I was invited as guest lecturer on a conference for the same paper as it is a new and upcoming technology/system.
    It goes without saying that I need to include the first one, but what about the second one. It's probably not a big deal to be a guest lecturer, but as just graduated it means somewhat more in my opnion.

5. Aug 20, 2015 #4
    Automatically you should include any oral or poster presentation you gave. If the presentation is accompanied by a research article included in the proceeding of the conference then you should mention it in your list of articles.

In your case: two oral presentations and one research article to mention. Not bad for a freshly graduated student :smile:

6. Aug 20, 2015 #5
    Thank you very much! :biggrin:

7. Aug 20, 2015 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If the conference organizers specifically invited you to give a talk (without you having submitted an abstract through the regular submission process) that would fall under "invited presentations." This is a big deal and would typically fall under a separate section in your CV.

8. Aug 21, 2015 #7
    So, does this mean that having a subsection "Invited talks/Guest lecture" under the section "Conferences and presentations" is not enough of a emphasis?

9. Aug 21, 2015 #8

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No that's fine. That's how most people do it. The point is to highlight an invited presentation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook