To avoid a collision what is your reaction time?

In summary, your reaction time can be calculated by using the kinematic equations and plugging in the given values for initial velocity, acceleration, and distance. In this case, the reaction time is approximately 0.13 seconds. It is important to note that the acceleration should be negative in order to stop the car and avoid a collision.
KaseyK

Homework Statement

As you are driving with a velocity of 75 km/h [N], you suddenly realize that there is a stalled vehicle in your lane 48.0m directly ahead. You react, applying the brakes to provide an acceleration of 4.80 m/s^2 . If you managed to avoid a collision what was your reaction time.

Homework Equations

What was your reaction time?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I wanted to find Vfinal so I used the kinematic equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2ad

I used:
Vi = 20.8333 m/s
d = 48.0 m
a = 4.80 m/s^2

This gave me Vf^2 = 29.9136 m/s

Then to find the time I used Vf = Vi + at

I got -1.89 s. The answer should be 0.13 s.

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You applied the acceleration wrong.
You were looking to avoid the collision, did you accelerate towards the car, or did you want to stop (Vf=0) so as to avoid the collision?

I wanted to avoid the car so the acceleration should have been negative?

You want to know what distance the car travels before reaching a complete stop (where your final velocity is zero).

Consider the case in which your reaction time is instantaneous, and you hit the brakes when you are 48.0m away from the car. How close are you to the car before you stop? This distance is the same as the distance you could have waited before hitting the brakes.

1. How long is the average reaction time to avoid a collision?

The average reaction time to avoid a collision varies among individuals, but it typically ranges from 0.7 seconds to 1.5 seconds. However, this can be affected by factors such as age, fatigue, and distractions.

2. Can reaction time be improved?

Yes, reaction time can be improved through practice and training. Activities such as playing sports, video games, or performing reaction time exercises can help improve your reflexes and decrease your reaction time.

3. Does reaction time differ for different types of collisions?

Yes, reaction time can differ depending on the type of collision. For example, a driver may have a faster reaction time to avoid a rear-end collision compared to a side-impact collision due to the location of the potential impact.

4. How can distractions affect reaction time?

Distractions, such as texting, talking on the phone, or changing the radio station, can significantly impact reaction time. It takes the brain a few seconds to shift focus from the distraction back to the road, which can delay a person's ability to react in time to avoid a collision.

5. Is reaction time the only factor in avoiding a collision?

No, reaction time is just one of many factors that can contribute to avoiding a collision. Other factors, such as following distance, speed, and road conditions, also play a crucial role in preventing accidents on the road.