To zoom in, or to zoom out?

• Thread starter w4k4b4lool4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zoom
In summary, The conversation discusses the question of whether we are able to zoom in or zoom out in the universe, and the amazing idea that everything can be explained by a single equation. However, the validity and complexity of this equation is debated, with some finding it convenient and others finding it arrogant to think that the universe can be described in such a way. The conversation also briefly touches on the idea of beauty and emotions in relation to the equation.
w4k4b4lool4
Hi All,

To zoom in, or to zoom out .. that is the question:

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Isn't it amazing ..
that we're arrogant enough to claim that it all probably comes from a single equation?
Wow!

Wakabaloola :)

Physics news on Phys.org
w4k4b4lool4 said:
Hi All,

To zoom in, or to zoom out .. that is the question:

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Isn't it amazing,
that we're arrogant enough to claim that it all comes from a single equation?
Wow!

Wakabaloola :)
I've never heard anyone claim that. Where did you?

Hi HallsofIvy!
Notice the edit, and in particular that I included the word `probably'!
Wakabaloola

w4k4b4lool4 said:
Isn't it amazing ..
that we're arrogant enough to claim that it all probably comes from a single equation?

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, unless you're referring to a religious version of creation. If the reference is to the existence of extraterrestrial life, it's statistically almost impossible for it to not be there.

Oh, okay... that stuff is way beyond my education level.
I will say, however, that if it doesn't explain things like dark energy, dark matter and the Higgs field, and explain things that we haven't even dreamed of yet, it isn't valid.

That equation is tremendously complex. It is not simply "one equation". (It is, but it's far more involved than F=MA or something similar) It has multiple steps involving math that we can't even solve for an exact solution except in a few very specific cases. However, I do understand most what you are saying. I don't find it arrogant at all. I find it convenient that we can place the basic interactions of matter at the quantum level into one equation. I'm not sure what you mean when you say everything "comes from a single equation" though. It merely describes the wavefunction of a particle.

The confusion lies within the fact that there was no claim that the equation could describe the entire universe, and every little thing within it; he was merely showing how we can put together the combined achievements of various scientists into one equation, and how (to Neil Turok) that shows the intrinsic beauty and value of theoretical physics.

I believe that the OP got caught up in what some of us might call "emotions." I haven't tried them out quite yet, but I will make the assumption that, after viewing that lovely spectacle (which I have seen before) he had a revelation that it is just all too beautiful and amazing to have a mere line of numbers and Greek symbols claim to be able to describe it all. (Which is what that equation cannot do, so the OP is in the clear for now).

Why is it arrogant to think that the very basic elements of the universe are describable? o_O

What on Earth is "o_O" supposed to represent? It looks like a visually impaired owl.

Danger said:
What on Earth is "o_O" supposed to represent? It looks like a visually impaired owl.

o_O ? http://forums.warriorcats.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=855107&m=71310785622 :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:

A face with one eye way open or eyebrow raised up.

1. Should I zoom in or zoom out when looking at an object?

The answer depends on what you want to focus on. If you want to see more details and specific features, zooming in would be more helpful. However, if you want to get a broader view and see the object in its surroundings, zooming out would be a better option.

2. How does zooming in or zooming out affect the quality of an image?

Zooming in too much can result in a pixelated or blurry image because the camera or device is trying to enlarge the image beyond its original resolution. On the other hand, zooming out can make the image appear smaller and less detailed. It is important to find a balance between the two for the best quality.

3. Is it better to use optical or digital zoom?

Optical zoom uses the lenses of the camera to physically zoom in on the image, resulting in higher quality. Digital zoom, on the other hand, simply enlarges the pixels of the image, which can reduce the overall quality. Therefore, optical zoom is generally preferred over digital zoom for better image quality.

4. Can zooming in or out affect the perspective of an image?

Yes, zooming in or out can change the perspective of an image. When zooming in, the object may appear larger and closer, while zooming out can make it appear smaller and farther away. This can be useful in photography to create different visual effects and compositions.

5. How does zooming in or out affect the field of view?

Zooming in reduces the field of view, meaning you can see less of the surrounding area. On the other hand, zooming out increases the field of view, allowing you to see more of the surroundings. This can be helpful in certain situations, such as capturing a landscape or group photo.