Today Special Relativity dies

In summary, the conversation discusses the simultaneous emission and detection of photons in different reference frames, specifically in the case of a man standing on a movable platform bed between two photon emitters. The outcome varies depending on the reference frame and the movement of the platform. The ambiguity lies in the lack of definition of the specific reference frames in each case.
But .999~ does equal 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
ram1024 said:
see the main thing i see as "the problem" is that light itself does NOT obey physical laws of the universe, so when you put it in a position where the frames get switch you cannot expect light to behave the same.

I wouldn't say light does not obey physical laws of the universe. It's a special case because of its zero rest mass. Then again you might say light is not physical but it does interact with mass.

ram1024 said:
case in point the picture i submitted most recently ...

I don't have the time to decipher your diagram so I can't comment..

ram1024 said:
same thing here, compensate for your limitations and everything still works fine. no time dialation, no length contraction, no simultaneity nonsense.

But everything doesn't work fine with Galilean relativity. GPS for example. MMX null result. And of course experiments in particle accelerators. What about muon decay? Muons live longer and travel longer when they are moving fast. You can't ignore all these.

ram1024 said:
no relative to the viewer light speed, but i do believe that's solely an error based on how they're calculating their measurments. we'll see when the data arrives.

Are we expecting new data? What are the errors? Do you have a consistent theory to correct the errors?

But everything doesn't work fine with Galilean relativity. GPS for example. MMX null result. And of course experiments in particle accelerators. What about muon decay? Muons live longer and travel longer when they are moving fast. You can't ignore all these.

without data i can only offer conjecture on these topics.

my thoughts are as follows

GPS still works because of triangulation. it doesn't work PERFECTLY, but then again it's all consistent so if they're running off the same system and all give the same error who's to know it's actually an error? being peak technology for that kind of thing the only way you could check it would be to use cruder technology

MMX null result is of no consequence because i don't believe in "aether" anyways.

does a muon decay at the same rate in space as it does on earth, subjected to atmospheric pressure, gravity, and element interaction? not enough data to conclude.

so without that kind of data, i can't give you much

ram1024 said:
GPS still works because of triangulation. it doesn't work PERFECTLY, but then again it's all consistent so if they're running off the same system and all give the same error who's to know it's actually an error? being peak technology for that kind of thing the only way you could check it would be to use cruder technology

I think they would notice if the GPS satellites made an error. Even if they all made the same error people would notice when it said they were 2 km from where they actually were.

well... the only way they'd be able to detect it is if you had other GPS satellites going the OTHER direction (orbit) and i don't think they do

In a sense, they already do. The GPS satellites orbit Earth in a nice symmetric pattern. Here's a representation:

http://www.gisillinois.org/gps/GPSDEF/sat.htm

If there was a systematic shift, how much it would affect you would depend on where and when you took the reading. Sometimes it would point one direction, and sometimes the opposite, depending of where the visible satellites were with respect to you at the time of the evaluation.

It would be quite chaotic, which it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
i went and looked up a lot of references on GPS and relativity, and apparently there's still a lot of controversy as to what is going on up there.

apparently regardless of how they correct the system they still get errors, so the whole thing has to be continually recalibrated.

they're saying that how things operate up there is MORE consistant with Lorentz Relativity than Special Relativity.

but General relativity seems to be holding for gravity effects <shrug>

now i got to go figure out what the difference is between Lorentz Relativity and Galilean/Einstein relativities :O

Ram, I think your skepticism is fine. But one thing seems certain: there is no going back to Galilean relativity. Current data fits into Einstein's relativity much better.

ram1024 said:
they're saying that how things operate up there is MORE consistant with Lorentz Relativity than Special Relativity.

If I'm not mistaken, SR includes LET as a subset but LET includes an aether which is just another frame in SR, if LET is what you mean by Lorentz relativity.

still trying to figure out what it means myself... :D

ram1024 said:
i had the same problem when i was prooving .999~ doesn't equal 1.
Oy - not only is every physicist wrong, but every mathematician is wrong too? Ram, you have a problem that we can't help you with here.
apparently regardless of how they correct the system they still get errors, so the whole thing has to be continually recalibrated.
Every system has errors. GPS clocks are quite good (easily good enough that they notice time dilation), but they still need to be synchronized periodically.

One little tidbit: GPS satellite clocks are calibrated according to the predictions of GR/SR and as such, when on the ground, they don't keep accurate time. Once in orbit, they do keep accurate time. What does that tell you?

In any case, it is clear from your statements that you don't know how GPS works, nor do you know its implications for SR/GR. You also don't understand the significance of the Lorentz transformaions an their relationship to SR. You should choose to learn these things instead of just assuming that you are right, choosing to believe that despite your admitted ignorance you know something that thousands of scientists don't, and choosing not to look at the mountain of evidence that says otherwise. Maybe that's not a choice you are capable of making. I don't know.

i told you i was investigating into it

i told you i was waiting on more conclusive data to make real conclusions

maybe you need to calm down :D

Oy - not only is every physicist wrong, but every mathematician is wrong too? Ram, you have a problem that we can't help you with here.

an expected response from someone indoctrined to believe...

so i opened up 3dsMax and started messing with spheres to try and figure out geometrically how GPS would work.

with one sphere and the earth, you can't really tell very much, basically the only information gleaned is that you're on the part of the Earth within direct line of sight with the satellite.

with two spheres, the intersection is a circle, more importantly where it intersects the Earth would be a line.

with 3 spheres you get a line, more importantly where that line intersects the Earth would be a point.

i'm assuming the fourth satellite <sphere> is for discerning altitude (but not really as it is a point on the line and the line might be coming in non vertical)

in each case time would be determined for each satellite, probably encoded into the pulse data. they run the time data from the satellites to generate 4 expanding spheres, the point where they all intersect gets the "you are here"

i think what that guy said about the fourth satellite being used for SR correction is false. just by messing with the sphere myself it doesn't seem to be the case.

just so you don't mistake me I'm not saying they DON'T use SR correction, just that it's most likely all on the clock/time side

meh... I've scared Tom, Hurkyl, and Doc Al away... wespe you're all i have left!

hold me...

ram1024 said:
meh... I've scared Tom, Hurkyl, and Doc Al away... wespe you're all i have left!
hold me...

We love you too Ram

But, is there an argument left to discuss? (Not case 7. The center of emission is relative so it's not a paradox)

Your last posts indicate you are trying to figure out how GPS works. That's not an argument and there are no questions, so you shouldn't be expecting a reply.

ram1024 said:
so i opened up 3dsMax and started messing with spheres to try and figure out geometrically how GPS would work...

i think what that guy said about the fourth satellite being used for SR correction is false. just by messing with the sphere myself it doesn't seem to be the case.
You're operating based on a preconcieved notion of how you think it might work, which is (unsurprisingly) wrong.

When I said you should "choose to learn" these things, maybe I wasn't specific enough. What I meant was that you should choose to learn how these things actually work, not how you think they should work in your nonexistent universe.

Read up on how GPS calculates a position. Read up on how the clocks are synchronized. Read up on what the implications are for Relativity.

Or you could simply admit that you will refuse to learn real science and end this. That is likely the reason why the others have abandoned these discussions.

Last edited:
you're talking as if you're absolutely positively sure that i have no idea what I'm talking about.

do YOU know exactly how GPS works? If NOT then you can't be sure I'm not correct. If SO, it would have been easier to post where i went wrong rather than post a useless paragraph condemning my learning habits.

be part of the solution not part of the problem, MmmKay?

Your last posts indicate you are trying to figure out how GPS works. That's not an argument and there are no questions, so you shouldn't be expecting a reply.

yeh i was waiting for Hurkyl to interpret my spacetime diagram, and Tom to come back with data.

i think they both went on vacation though, i haven't seen them post in other threads either.

As for Doc Al, i think i wore him out :(

the GPS is a good distraction while i wait for their return

Does the fact that you have been arguing your case, and we have been arguing ours as well, for 10 days, and yet no progress has been made? It looks to me like one of us is either refusing to accept a notion, or that ... well actually there's just the one option.

I thought I didn't really have much to say on this thread.

Anyways, http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/wrong.html is a great page, and it has a section on GPS vs relativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
wonderfully informative page.

even figured out where i went wrong with my spheres. without knowledge of the sphere's locations relative to each other (satellites) you would need 4 to determine the locations of intersections, but they do a precalculation and send it down as part of the signal. i thought the signal would be simple and the calculations would be done on the receiver end. but they're asserting that the signal carries 9 layers of information and the receivers actually do very little of their own computation. in this sense they only need 3 for triangulation, and the 4th supplies the receiver with the time of the Earth based GPS clock.

good stuff

i need you to look over my spacetime diagram Hurkyl :D

ram1024 said:
yeh i was waiting for Hurkyl to interpret my spacetime diagram, and Tom to come back with data.

i think they both went on vacation though, i haven't seen them post in other threads either.

As for Doc Al, i think i wore him out :(

the GPS is a good distraction while i wait for their return

oh then that was the expected data.. I didn't understand what you meant.

but russ_watters is right IMO, you could learn more efficiently if you did more search and reading, or else you will wear people out

thanks for the link Hurkyl

heh, you guys are under the false impression that i do no reading and investigating on my own :D

i do quite alot, but as far as stuff online it's quite hard to judge facts from fiction most of the time, which is why before i go into researching i lay out my own "how i think it would work" scenario as a guidestone, and then work the research data into my theory as i progress, using each new piece to compare and contrast to find out how stuff actually works and where i went wrong <if anywhere>

a lot of times i will get conflicting data from sites so generally i tend to go with the ones that DO take the commonly accepted theories "point of view" as being the truth.

if i got bogged down with contradictions i'd never make it anywhere.

and i am truly sorry if i wear you guys out. :(

you're talking as if you're absolutely positively sure that i have no idea what I'm talking about.
It would appear (with a gentle nudge from Hurkyl) that you answered your own question. Why couldn't you have just read up on it like I (we) suggested instead of guessing and getting combative when you guessed wrong? Its simpler, faster, and less painful for all of us.
ram1024 said:
...I lay out my own "how i think it would work" scenario as a guidestone, and then work the research data into my theory as i progress, using each new piece to compare and contrast to find out how stuff actually works and where i went wrong <if anywhere>.
And this is why you are having such a hard time learning these things. Its human nature to not want to be wrong and so I understand your frustration. You are trying to learn by a process that ensures that for you to learn something you must first make a guess and be wrong (and accept that you were wrong). On this forum it manifests itself as you making guesses, us trying to help you, and you responding with the natural human instinct of getting defensive/combative. Why put yourself through that? Just learn the right way the first time. Don't guess.

Yes, can be tough to find credible info on the web. We can help. But if you don't trust us, its not hard to figure out on your own what is credible and what isn't.

the process of me guessing helps me to understand the ramifications of why things are the way they are more intuitively.

this is the way that i learn best. <shrug>

take case in point the GPS system. they're doing it with 4 satellites in view, using 3 for triangulation and the 4th to match GPS local time for the Earth based station.

my system would use 4 satellites but we wouldn't need to know the positions of the satellites or local Earth time, as 4 expanding spheres with calibrated time only intersect in 2 places, one would be your position on Earth and the other would be somewhere way off in space.

i don't know if that would make computations any easier or harder, but it is a system that would work, fashioned entirely from my brain in a way that i personally can understand it.

relaying that information in a way that you or anyone else could understand it is indeed a bit more difficult which is why it takes 25 pages for me to get my point across to you guys.

in the end if you guys are simply trying to "teach me" and not also "learn what the heck I'm talking about" then there's a failure on your end as well. because from my standpoint i have taken everything "taught" to me thus far and incorporated it into my "self theory" as retained knowledge. you have simply clung to what you believe and not made an attempt to "learn" what i might have to offer.

ram1024 said:
relaying that information in a way that you or anyone else could understand it is indeed a bit more difficult which is why it takes 25 pages for me to get my point across to you guys.

in the end if you guys are simply trying to "teach me" and not also "learn what the heck I'm talking about" then there's a failure on your end as well. because from my standpoint i have taken everything "taught" to me thus far and incorporated it into my "self theory" as retained knowledge. you have simply clung to what you believe and not made an attempt to "learn" what i might have to offer.

Ram, I did learn something from your case#7 (maybe others already knew, but I didn't): that the center of emission is not a space buoy. So, thank you for that. But.. the other cases were a waste of time, due to a lack of knowledge on your side. That's the part that could be eliminated. I didn't say you read nothing, I just said more reading would be better. Sorry if that offended you.

the center of emission HAS to be a space buoy. if it's moving then what's its speed and direction?

the whole "light is not connected to its source" means it either A> has to be stationary absolutely or B> has to move, but relative to what in your guys SR case, in Galilean it would move with the imparted velocity from the source. which is where a lot of confusion comes into play I'm sure. still need the data to verify my postulates.

i will say again, if light is independant of its source then the space buoy HAS to work.

ram1024 said:
the center of emission HAS to be a space buoy.

If the center of emission is a space buoy, then speed of light can't be the same for both emitter and receiver.

ram1024 said:
if it's moving then what's its speed and direction?
it's relative to frames and it's not a real object.

wespe said:
If the center of emission is a space buoy, then speed of light can't be the same for both emitter and receiver.

it's relative to frames and it's not a real object.

so in the moving observer frame, the center of emission is stationary

in the stationary observer frame the center of emission is moving.

that would be consistant right?

but it's not so according to the way you guys are calculating it. you have it stationary in the moving frame and stationary in the stationary frame.

you say it's not a real thing, but it has to be real enough in such that light emitted from that point will spread "at light speed" in all directions. that is a given.

let's analyze that further.
Code:
[u](o)                                                         <-)|[/u]

we're putting two observers next to each other. a flash of light is emitted at the same time from emitters same distance from them. <this can be the same emitter so don't worry about synchronicity>

Code:
[u]            (o)                                                         <-)|[/u]
[u]            (o)                                                         <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]                (o)                                                     <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]                    (o)                                                 <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]                        (o)                                             <-)|[/u]

one of the observers moves towards the emitters. it's guaranteed he gets hit before the other observer due to less distance light has to travel. correct?

now we swap frames

Code:
Code:
[u]          (o)                                                         <-)|[/u]
[u]              (o)                                                     <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]        (o)                                                         <-)|[/u]
[u]                (o)                                                 <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]      (o)                                                         <-)|[/u]
[u]                  (o)                                             <-)|[/u]

or

Code:
Code:
[u]        (o)                                                         <-)|[/u]
[u]            (o)                                                     <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]    (o)                                                         <-)|[/u]
[u]            (o)                                                 <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]            (o)                                             <-)|[/u]

or

Code:
Code:
[u]                (o)                                                     <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]                    (o)                                                 <-)|[/u]
Code:
[u]                        (o)                                             <-)|[/u]

these are the three relative frames i managed to come up with.

the first defining stationary as the point between O1 and O2, having each other move away at same speed. the emitters have to close some of the distance.

the second being O2 stationary, so O1 must move away and the emitters must close the distances

the third being O1 stationary and O2 moving. this is exactly the same case as outlined in the first example.

let's define a length that light travels at a certain time to be light's speed in this scenario.

here is that length

Code:
[u]            (o)                         length                          <-)|[/u]

apply that length to the scenarios outlined above as being a constant speed.

you'll see that this length segment coresponds to a space-time such that in the original case allows both observers to be hit by the photon.

in case 2 and 3 the first observer can NOT be hit by his photon during this allotted space-time.

there is only ONE allowable case at constant speed of light that makes it so that length of space time encompasses both observers and that is case 4, which is identical to case 1. so the only answer from an SR standpoint can be that case 2 and 4 are incorrect as reference frames. case 1 is what actually happens.

Last edited:
ram1024 said:
my system would use 4 satellites but we wouldn't need to know the positions of the satellites or local Earth time, as 4 expanding spheres with calibrated time only intersect in 2 places, one would be your position on Earth and the other would be somewhere way off in space.

i don't know if that would make computations any easier or harder, but it is a system that would work, fashioned entirely from my brain in a way that i personally can understand it.
If your system doesn't take Relativity into consideration, it might work in your universe, but it won't work in ours.
This process certainly does help us to learn (thats part of the reason I'm here), but its learning by finding your errors. You get us to think about these subjects, pick apart your ideas, and find the flaws.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll solve these with my ultimate solvination program: paint.

Just a minute.

time increases upwards
distance between obs and emit = 1m
listspeed = 1m/s for simplicity (if you want I can just make it more than 1 meter, or say it's the meter #2)

I can't believe the imit is 400x400 I had to crunch up my pic and mess everything up!

Anyways this is what would happen.

*edit* it was 402*398 ... fixed now

The "rel.jpg" is just the proff that your buoy won't work

Last edited:
omg I'm painting TOO!

we're of like mind, Alka :D

attachments never get approved. better host it somewhere...

OK, here's what I could come up with (someone correct me if I'm mistaken)

Suppose the second emitter was comoving with the second observer.
The emitters emit photons when they meet.

This is o1 frame:
Code:
       (o1)----------------------------------------<-)|

This is o2 frame:
Code:
       (o2)----------------------------------------<-)|

But o1 sees the o2 frame length contracted:

Code:
       (o2)----------------------------------<-)|

Also o2 sees the o1 frame length contracted:

Code:
       (o1)----------------------------------<-)|

According to o1 this is what happened:

observers meet first:

Code:

then emitters meet:

Code:

later o2 detects photon. later o1 detects photon

Code:

According to o2 this is what happened:

emitters meet first:

Code:

then observers meet:

Code:

later o2 detects photon. later o1 detects photon

Code:
------------------------------<-)|

So, o2 detects photon before o1 in both frames, but they won't agree on times and distances and simultaneity.

does this make sense?

edit: Your mistake is assuming the photons were emitted at the same time for both observers, which is the time the two observers were at the same location. That would violate relative simultaneity/time. For the moving observer, the photons were emitted some time ago before the observers were at the same location (because of length contraction as I showed above).

Last edited: