Tomorrow i have a test, I with these questions

• Thread starter Roro312
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to energy calculations. The first question involves calculating the energy required to evaporate an ice cube, while the second question involves finding the energy per gram in a mandarin orange. The formula for converting solid to liquid is Q=mC, and the formula for raising the temperature of water is Q=mc(Tf-Ti). The conversation ends with a plea for help and a summary of the steps to solve the problems.
Roro312
Tomorrow is my test and i understand partially everything... and than i stumbled upon these two questions and if i just know what's used for each formula .. i can do it

1) Calculate the amount of energy required to evaporate an ice cube having a mass of 45g.

I know that first it must go for solid to liquid which is E=mf and than from liquid to gas which is E=mLv .. can someone please show me how to do them... my test is tomorrow:(

Lf water= 3.3x10^5 J/Kg
water=4.2x10^3 J/Kg'C
ice= 2.1x 10^3 J/Kg'C

the other question i didnt get was:

2)An 80g mandarin orange is burned in bomb calorimeter. The 1.55 kg of water change in temperature from 21.0'C to 39.4'C. Calculate the energy per gram in the mandarin orange.

I would show you my attempt except its just ridiculous becuase i reallyyyy don't get it.

Your help is muchhhh appreciated.. i need help ASAP ...thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for the first one, you will need energy to

1)convert the ice to liquid which is (solid to liquid)
2) Raise the temperature to the boiling point of water
3) convert all the liquid to vapor

So find the individual energy requirements and add them up.

For the second one, how much energy would it take to raise the temperature of water of mass 1.55kg from 21C ro 39.4C?.

Thats the problem... i don't know how to convert solid to liquid.. what formula do i use?

Q=mC C is a constant you can look up for water its different depending on which phase transition you are calculating.
Q=mc(Tf-Ti) for when your raising the temperature c i think its 1cal/gC for water.

Add all the Qs and viola

Dear student,

I understand that you are facing difficulties with these two questions and your test is tomorrow. Don't worry, I will try my best to explain the concepts and equations needed to solve them.

For the first question, you are correct in using the equations E=mf and E=mLv. Let's break down the steps to solve this problem:

Step 1: Convert the mass of the ice cube from grams to kilograms. Remember, the units in equations must be consistent. So, 45g = 0.045kg.

Step 2: Calculate the energy required to melt the ice cube using the equation E=mf. Since we are going from solid to liquid, we will use the latent heat of fusion (Lf) for water, which is given in the question as 3.3x10^5 J/kg. So, E = (0.045kg)(3.3x10^5 J/kg) = 14850 J.

Step 3: Calculate the energy required to vaporize the water using the equation E=mLv. Since we are going from liquid to gas, we will use the latent heat of vaporization (Lv) for water, which is not given in the question. However, we can find it by using the specific heat capacity (C) of water, which is given as 4.2x10^3 J/kg'C. The equation to find Lv is Lv = C x (Tf-Ti), where Tf is the final temperature (100'C) and Ti is the initial temperature (0'C). So, Lv = (4.2x10^3 J/kg'C)(100-0) = 420000 J/kg.

Step 4: Calculate the total energy required to evaporate the ice cube by adding the energy required to melt and the energy required to vaporize. E = 14850 J + 420000 J = 434850 J.

For the second question, we are given the mass of the mandarin orange (80g) and the change in temperature of the water (21.0'C to 39.4'C). We need to use the equation Q=mcΔT, where Q is the energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Step 1: Convert the mass of the mandarin orange from grams to kilograms. So, 80g = 0.08kg

1. How should I study for my test tomorrow?

The best way to study for a test is to review your notes, create flashcards, and practice with practice questions or quizzes. It is also helpful to study in a quiet and distraction-free environment.

2. What can I do if I don't feel prepared for my test tomorrow?

If you don't feel prepared for your test, it is important to stay calm and not panic. Take some time to review key concepts and focus on your strengths. Also, try to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast to help you feel more prepared.

3. How can I manage my time effectively for studying for my test tomorrow?

To manage your time effectively, it is helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it. Break up your study sessions into smaller chunks and take breaks in between. This will help you stay focused and avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. Should I study alone or with a group for my test tomorrow?

This ultimately depends on your learning style. If you learn better by discussing and explaining concepts to others, studying with a group may be beneficial. However, if you prefer to study independently and at your own pace, studying alone may be the better option.

5. How can I stay calm and focused during my test tomorrow?

To stay calm and focused during your test, make sure to arrive early so you have time to relax and settle in. Take deep breaths and read through the instructions carefully. If you get stuck on a question, move on and come back to it later. Remember to stay positive and believe in yourself.