Topic for physics undergraduate research

In summary, the speaker is a physics major who has taken a variety of courses in quantum mechanics, mechanics, relativity, and math. They are interested in conducting research as an undergraduate, but have faced difficulty in finding faculty members who are willing to assist them. The speaker is seeking suggestions for a specific research topic and is willing to do extensive reading to prepare for it. However, they acknowledge that conducting research without the guidance of a professor may be challenging.
mitstudent
I am a physics major.

I took introductory quantum mechanics, theoretical mechanics, general relativity, and math until linear algebra, diff. equations, probability and statistics, and discrete math.

I had decided to do some research while being undergraduate. Approaching faculty members did not succeed since all faculty believed only graduates would do research. (my college is in Egypt - the idea of undergrad research is really absurd.)

I thought that I may come up with a topic first, then I would seek their assistance. They are really helpful but they just do not get it that undergraduates may do research.

Please help me by suggesting a specific topic that I may research - and it would be really appreciated if you could elaborate what textbooks/papers I should be aware of first.

I have no problem if I had to read many textbooks/papers this semester and start research in spring.

Physics news on Phys.org
no topics? :D

It's too difficult for an undergraduate to do this sort of thing without the guidance of a professor. I would think it would be easier to just pester some faculty and show examples of undergraduates publishing papers in highly-regarded journals in the U.S. to convince them. I don't think coming up with a research topic would be very impressive, but then again it really depends. You could try looking into a professor's area of research and coming up with an idea within that, but you likely won't have enough understanding to do that.

What you could do is ask them to do a directed reading (like a 1-on-1 study) on something that's related to their area of research. Perhaps you can show them your abilities and convince them to let you do research with them.

1. What is the purpose of undergraduate research in physics?

The purpose of undergraduate research in physics is to provide students with hands-on experience in conducting and analyzing scientific experiments, as well as to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows students to explore their interests in specific areas of physics and potentially contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

2. How do I choose a topic for physics undergraduate research?

Choosing a topic for physics undergraduate research can be a challenging task. It is important to first identify your interests and strengths within the field of physics. You can also speak with your professors or research advisors for guidance and ideas. Additionally, reading scientific articles and attending research seminars can help you discover potential research topics.

3. What are some common research methods used in physics undergraduate research?

Some common research methods used in physics undergraduate research include designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and using mathematical and computational models to study physical phenomena. Other methods may involve literature reviews, simulations, and theoretical calculations.

4. How long does it typically take to complete an undergraduate research project in physics?

The duration of an undergraduate research project in physics can vary depending on the nature and complexity of the project, as well as the time commitment of the student. On average, it can take anywhere from several months to a year or more to complete a research project. It is important to discuss the timeline and expectations with your research advisor in order to plan accordingly.

5. Can I publish my undergraduate research in physics?

Yes, it is possible to publish undergraduate research in physics in a scientific journal or present it at a conference. However, this is not a requirement and should be discussed with your research advisor. It is important to note that the publication process can be lengthy and may require additional revisions and experiments.