Best physics PhD for going into industry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a PhD in physics, specifically in the field of condensed matter physics. They also inquire about other areas of experimental physics for a PhD and the potential job prospects in industry for experimental physicists. The advice given includes taking courses to build job skills and pursuing what interests the speaker the most. It is mentioned that a PhD may not be necessary for some industry jobs and that knowledge in condensed matter physics and optics is valuable. Programming skills can also be beneficial.
AlanKirby
Hi, I'm currently thinking about what area I want my physics PhD (which i want to do anyway) to be in. I'm interested in condensed matter physics, although I'm not stuck on that idea. (I'm an experimentalist by the way.)

What area is best to do a physics PhD in, in order to have a good chance of getting into and good choices for working in industry? (I want to go into industry later down the line.)

Also, aside from; condensed matter, nuclear and particle, what are the main other areas for doing a PhD in (experimental wise)? I can also think of Biophysics, surface physics and also accelerator science. Is there anything else??

What is the reality like for getting into industry as an experimental physicist (and out of curiousity, as a theorist?) ?

Thank you for any response!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the advice that I've gotten:
1. take classes during your graduate degree that build job skills
2. do what you're most interested in

If you're planning on going into industry, a PhD is not necessary; it can apparently 'overqualify' you for a large set of jobs. Pretty much any type of physics degree is marketable though.

AFAIK, experimentalist PhD jobs basically require you to have knowledge in condensed matter physics (semiconductors, materials science, electronics) and/or optics (microscopy, imaging, laser applications). Pretty much any PhD focus can potentially use programming too, if you're interested in that route. Bare in mind that I haven't gotten a PhD yet nor have I interviewed at many industry jobs.

Likes AlanKirby

1. What is the best physics PhD program for going into industry?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as your research interests, career goals, and location preferences. Some popular physics PhD programs for industry careers include Caltech, MIT, Stanford, and UC Berkeley. It is important to research and consider the faculty, curriculum, and resources offered by each program before making a decision.

2. Is it necessary to have a physics PhD for a successful career in industry?

While having a physics PhD can open up many opportunities in industry, it is not always necessary. Many companies value the problem-solving skills and analytical thinking that come with a physics PhD, but also consider relevant work experience and skills. It is important to research the job market and determine if a PhD is necessary for your desired career path.

3. Can I specialize in a particular area of physics for an industry career?

Yes, you can definitely specialize in a particular area of physics for an industry career. Many PhD programs offer specialized tracks or concentrations in fields such as materials science, computational physics, or biophysics. It is important to choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. What skills can I gain from a physics PhD that are valuable in industry?

A physics PhD can provide you with a wide range of skills that are highly valued in industry, such as problem-solving, data analysis, critical thinking, and communication. Additionally, you may develop technical skills in areas such as programming, experimental design, and data visualization. These skills are transferable to many industries, making physics PhD holders highly sought after by employers.

5. How can I best prepare for an industry career during my physics PhD program?

There are several ways to prepare for an industry career during your physics PhD program. You can gain relevant work experience through internships or part-time jobs in industry, attend workshops or conferences related to your field, and network with professionals in your desired industry. It is also important to develop transferable skills and keep up with developments in your field to stay competitive in the job market.