1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topologically conjugate function

1. Aug 29, 2014 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Are [itex]f(x)=2x, x\in R[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=x^2, x>0[/itex] topologically conjugate?

i.e. does there exist an h(x) such that

[tex]h(g(x))=f(h(x))[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My professor gave one example in class about finding such a function h which was by guessing it to be equal to xn and subsequently solving and finding the value of n. However, when I tried to apply the same idea to this problem, I come off short.

[tex]h(g(x)) = h(x^2)[/tex]

[tex]f(h(x)) = 2h(x)[/tex]

If we let [itex]h(x)=x^n[/itex] then we want to solve for n in

[tex]x^{2n}=2x^n[/tex]

[tex]x^n=2 = h(x)[/tex]

Hence I find h(x)=2 but this doesn't work. Are there other guesses I could make? Or better yet, is there a more systematic approach to these sorts of problems? Does there even exist an h?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You need [itex]h(x^2) = 2h(x)[/itex] for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. The left hand side is an even function, so [itex]h[/itex] must itself be even. We can ensure that by taking [itex]h(x) = p(|x|)[/itex] for some [itex]p : \{x \in \mathbb{R} : x > 0\} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Do you know of any functions defined on [itex]x > 0[/itex] with the property that [itex]p(x^\alpha) = \alpha p(x)[/itex]?

4. Aug 30, 2014 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thanks! This analysis helped a lot!

Ahh well when you put it that way, evidently [itex]p(x)=log_k(x)[/itex] for k>0 would work.

So does it suffice to choose h to be

[tex]h(x) = |\log_k(x)| : x\in \mathbb{R} \backslash {0} , h(x) = 0 : x=0[/tex]

5. Aug 30, 2014 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Actually, I only need to find one such h so ln(x) would suffice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted