Topologically conjugate function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of topological conjugacy and finding a function h(x) that satisfies the equation h(g(x)) = f(h(x)). The approach of using a guess and solving for n is mentioned, but it is found to be insufficient. The possibility of using an even function and the function p(x) = log_k(x) is suggested, and it is concluded that ln(x) would suffice as an h(x) that satisfies the equation.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Are [itex]f(x)=2x, x\in R[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=x^2, x>0[/itex] topologically conjugate?

i.e. does there exist an h(x) such that

[tex]h(g(x))=f(h(x))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor gave one example in class about finding such a function h which was by guessing it to be equal to xn and subsequently solving and finding the value of n. However, when I tried to apply the same idea to this problem, I come off short.

[tex]h(g(x)) = h(x^2)[/tex]

[tex]f(h(x)) = 2h(x)[/tex]

If we let [itex]h(x)=x^n[/itex] then we want to solve for n in

[tex]x^{2n}=2x^n[/tex]

[tex]x^n=2 = h(x)[/tex]

Hence I find h(x)=2 but this doesn't work. Are there other guesses I could make? Or better yet, is there a more systematic approach to these sorts of problems? Does there even exist an h?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:

Homework Statement

Are [itex]f(x)=2x, x\in R[/itex] and [itex]g(x)=x^2, x>0[/itex] topologically conjugate?

i.e. does there exist an h(x) such that

[tex]h(g(x))=f(h(x))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor gave one example in class about finding such a function h which was by guessing it to be equal to xn and subsequently solving and finding the value of n. However, when I tried to apply the same idea to this problem, I come off short.

[tex]h(g(x)) = h(x^2)[/tex]

[tex]f(h(x)) = 2h(x)[/tex]

If we let [itex]h(x)=x^n[/itex] then we want to solve for n in

[tex]x^{2n}=2x^n[/tex]

[tex]x^n=2 = h(x)[/tex]

Hence I find h(x)=2 but this doesn't work. Are there other guesses I could make? Or better yet, is there a more systematic approach to these sorts of problems? Does there even exist an h?

You need [itex]h(x^2) = 2h(x)[/itex] for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. The left hand side is an even function, so [itex]h[/itex] must itself be even. We can ensure that by taking [itex]h(x) = p(|x|)[/itex] for some [itex]p : \{x \in \mathbb{R} : x > 0\} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Do you know of any functions defined on [itex]x > 0[/itex] with the property that [itex]p(x^\alpha) = \alpha p(x)[/itex]?

pasmith said:
You need [itex]h(x^2) = 2h(x)[/itex] for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. The left hand side is an even function, so [itex]h[/itex] must itself be even. We can ensure that by taking [itex]h(x) = p(|x|)[/itex] for some [itex]p : \{x \in \mathbb{R} : x > 0\} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Thanks! This analysis helped a lot!

pasmith said:
Do you know of any functions defined on [itex]x > 0[/itex] with the property that [itex]p(x^\alpha) = \alpha p(x)[/itex]?

Ahh well when you put it that way, evidently [itex]p(x)=log_k(x)[/itex] for k>0 would work.

So does it suffice to choose h to be

[tex]h(x) = |\log_k(x)| : x\in \mathbb{R} \backslash {0} , h(x) = 0 : x=0[/tex]

Actually, I only need to find one such h so ln(x) would suffice.

What is a topologically conjugate function?

A topologically conjugate function is a type of continuous function that preserves the structure of a topological space. It maps one topological space onto another, while maintaining the same topological properties.

How does a function become topologically conjugate?

A function becomes topologically conjugate when it satisfies certain conditions, such as being continuous, one-to-one, and onto. Additionally, the inverse of the function must also be continuous.

What is the importance of topologically conjugate functions in mathematics?

Topologically conjugate functions are important in the study of dynamical systems, as they allow for the simplification and analysis of complex systems. They also provide a way to classify and compare different topological spaces.

Can any function be topologically conjugate?

No, not all functions can be topologically conjugate. It depends on the properties of the function and the topological spaces being mapped. For example, a function that is not continuous cannot be topologically conjugate.

How is topological conjugacy different from other types of conjugacy?

Topological conjugacy is a type of conjugacy that focuses on the topological properties of a function and its corresponding topological space. Other types of conjugacy, such as algebraic conjugacy, consider different properties, such as algebraic equations or group structures.