Toronto Doctor takes pictures of small intestine with LEDs and camera in a pill

In summary, a recent news story features a pill developed by researchers at McMaster University in Hamilton, which can be ingested to provide doctors with detailed information about a patient's health. This technology is reminiscent of a similar concept from the cartoon show, The Jetsons, where George had to take a pill that could gather medical information and ended up getting lodged in a mummy. Despite not being able to remember basic trig identities, the individual is intrigued by the advancements in technology and curious to see what the future holds.
willib
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/09/04/video_pill020904
sorry if it's not new news , but i just saw it on tv and thought it was very cool..

Attachments

• camera_swallow020904.jpg
    camera_swallow020904.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 487
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
i'm sorry but it says mcmaster which is in hamilton

Hey i remember seeing a story a few years ago... guess thsi is it... pretty cool

Didn't they do something like this on the Jetsons? If I remember correctly, George had to take the pill and the doctor talked to it, gathering information about the patient. At some point, the pill got shot out of George and ended up in a mummy that was near by. The doctor then told George that his condition was terminal. My God, how the hell can I remember an episode of a show that I haven't seen in 20 years, but I can't seem to keep 5 or 6 trig identities in my head for more then a few hours.

Anyway, very cool stuff, I can't wait to see what the world looks like in another 5 years.

1. What is the purpose of taking pictures of the small intestine with LEDs and a camera in a pill?

The purpose of this procedure is to provide a non-invasive and efficient way to examine the small intestine. By using a pill with a camera and LEDs, doctors can capture images of the small intestine and detect any abnormalities or diseases.

2. How does the pill with LEDs and a camera work?

The pill is swallowed by the patient and travels through the digestive system. As it moves through the small intestine, the LEDs emit light and the camera captures images which are transmitted to a recording device. The pill is then naturally excreted from the body.

3. Is the procedure safe?

Yes, the procedure is generally considered safe. The pill is made of biocompatible materials and does not cause any harm to the body. However, as with any medical procedure, there may be potential risks and complications, which should be discussed with a doctor.

4. How long does it take for the pill to travel through the small intestine?

The pill typically takes 8-12 hours to travel through the small intestine. This may vary depending on the individual's digestive system and any obstructions that may be present.

5. What can be diagnosed from the images taken by the pill?

The images captured by the pill can help diagnose various conditions and diseases of the small intestine, such as Crohn's disease, ulcers, tumors, and bleeding. It can also be used to monitor the effectiveness of treatments for these conditions.