How Do Torque and Hinge Placement Affect a Door's Stability?

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with calculating the forces on a door with two hinges supporting its mass. The vertical components of the forces can be calculated using the summation of forces in the y-direction, but the horizontal components require the use of summation of torques. To solve this, each hinge can be taken as a pivot point and the torques about that point must add up to zero.
foot
I'm having quite a bit of trouble with this problem. It seems easy, but I just can't seem to get the idea.

The Problem said:
A door has a height of 2.1m along a y-axis that extends vertically upward and a width of 0.91 m along an x-axis that extends outward from the hinged edge of the door. A hinge 0.30 m from the top and a hinge 0.30 m from the bootom each support half the door's mass, which is 27kg. In unit-vector notation, what are the forces on the door at a) the top hinge and b) the bottom hinge.

I'm able to calculate the vertical components of the forces by using the summation of forces in the y direction equal to zero. The horizantal components, I'm pretty sure I need to use summation of torques, but there are only two forces! The force from each hinge in the horizantal direction! How would I go about solving htis?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the vertical components of the force the hinges exert on the door. To find the horizontal components, take each hinge as a pivot point and realize that the torques about that point must add to zero.

It sounds like you are on the right track with using the summation of torques to solve this problem. However, in order to calculate the torque, you will need to know the distance from the hinge to the point where the force is applied. In this case, the distance is given as 0.30m.

To find the torque at the top hinge, you will need to use the force and distance in a cross product. The force will be the weight of half the door (27kg/2 = 13.5kg) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2) and the distance will be 0.30m. This will give you the torque in the horizontal direction, which can then be broken down into its x and y components using trigonometry.

Similarly, for the bottom hinge, you will use the same force and distance, but in the opposite direction (since the force will be acting in the opposite direction at the bottom hinge). Again, you can use trigonometry to break down the torque into its x and y components.

Remember, torque is a rotational force, so it is important to consider the distance from the hinge to the point where the force is applied. I would recommend drawing a diagram to visualize the problem and make it easier to solve.

I hope this helps you understand the concept of torque and how it relates to door hinges. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask for help if you are still having trouble. Good luck!

Related to How Do Torque and Hinge Placement Affect a Door's Stability?

What is torque and how does it relate to door hinges?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of door hinges, torque is the force that is applied to the hinge when the door is opened or closed. It is important for determining the strength and stability of the door hinge.

How does the placement of the door hinge affect the torque?

The placement of the door hinge can greatly influence the amount of torque that is applied to it. If the hinge is placed closer to the edge of the door, it will experience more torque than if it is placed closer to the center of the door. This is because the distance between the point of force (the door handle) and the axis of rotation (the hinge) is greater when the hinge is placed farther from the edge.

What materials are commonly used for door hinges and how do they affect torque?

Door hinges can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, brass, and aluminum. The type of material used can affect the amount of torque that the hinge can withstand. For example, steel hinges are typically stronger and can withstand more torque than aluminum hinges.

How is torque measured and calculated in relation to door hinges?

Torque is typically measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). To calculate the torque on a door hinge, you would need to know the force being applied to the door (such as the weight of the door or the force of someone pushing or pulling on it) and the distance between the point of force and the axis of rotation (the hinge).

How can door hinge design affect the torque on the hinge?

The design of the door hinge can greatly affect the amount of torque that it can withstand. Hinges with longer arms, thicker arms, or more support structures are generally able to withstand more torque than simpler hinge designs. Additionally, the material and quality of construction can also play a role in the hinge's ability to handle torque.