Torque on a suspended uniform bar

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bar of length L supporting a mass at the end, fastened by a pivot to a wall at an angle θ to the horizontal. The mass of the bar is m1 and the tension has been solved for. The question is then posed about the horizontal component of the force exerted by the wall on the bar. The conversation then delves into solving this problem using free body diagrams and principles of equilibrium. The conclusion is that the horizontal component of the force exerted by the wall on the bar is equal to 0.
nautola

Homework Statement

A bar of length L supports a mass, m2 at the end. It is fastened by a pivot at one end to a wall which is at an angle θ to the horizontal. The bar is supported by a cord a distance x from the wall. The mass of the uniform bar is m1. I already solved for the tension: T=(1/2m1 + m2) (L/x) g

What is the horizontal component of the force exerted on the bar by the wall? Let right be the positive direction.

Homework Equations

τ= Ʃ(Fdsinθ) τ=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the torques equal to each other at the end with the mass, m2 so that I could determine Ncosθ, the vertical component of the normal force exerted by the wall. I also tried using the same torque equations at the midpoint of L and where T is exerted.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 868
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you solved for T by looking at a free body diagram of the bar and summing torques about the left end of the bar. You migbt want to look at that same FBD to solve for the horizontal force component of the wall on the bar by using Newton's first law in the horizontal direction.

Is the answer x=0? Because it seems to me that the bar is pushing straight up on the wall, so that just makes the wall push straight down and be done.

My main confusion comes from the free body diagram that I'm looking at. I keep setting it up and I'm not sure if the forces should go perpendicular to the wall, or if they should go straight. Assuming they go perpendicular, I'm not entirely sure how to solve for the horizontal component.

Free Body Diagrams tell no lies. You seem to be questioning it,which is fine. But the sum of forces for a body in equilibrium must always be 0. If there is a horizontal force of the wall on the bar, there must be another horizontal force on the bar balancing it, but where ?

nautola said:
Is the answer x=0? Because it seems to me that the bar is pushing straight up on the wall, so that just makes the wall push straight down and be done.
Yes
My main confusion comes from the free body diagram that I'm looking at. I keep setting it up and I'm not sure if the forces should go perpendicular to the wall, or if they should go straight. Assuming they go perpendicular, I'm not entirely sure how to solve for the horizontal component.
You can break up the vert force of the wall on the bar into components perpendicular (normal) and parallel to the wall if you want. But their resultant must be in a vert direction.:bugeye::zzz:

What is torque on a suspended uniform bar?

Torque on a suspended uniform bar is the measure of the force that causes rotation around an axis. In the case of a suspended bar, the axis of rotation is at the point where the bar is suspended.

How is torque calculated on a suspended uniform bar?

The formula for calculating torque on a suspended uniform bar is T = F * r * sin(theta), where T is torque, F is the applied force, r is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and theta is the angle between the force vector and the direction of rotation.

What factors affect the torque on a suspended uniform bar?

The two main factors that affect torque on a suspended uniform bar are the magnitude of the applied force and the distance from the point of rotation to where the force is applied. Additionally, the angle between the force and the direction of rotation also affects torque.

Can torque on a suspended uniform bar be negative?

Yes, torque can be both positive and negative. Positive torque causes a clockwise rotation, while negative torque causes a counterclockwise rotation. This is determined by the direction of the applied force and the direction of rotation.

How is torque on a suspended uniform bar used in real-world applications?

Torque on a suspended uniform bar is used in many real-world applications, such as balancing objects on a seesaw or calculating the weight of an object hanging from a crane. It is also an important concept in engineering and physics, particularly in the design and analysis of structures and machines.